what's my boat?

aztec

Visit site
what\'s my boat?

hi, new user here. i'm trying to buy a boat as a project. i have been told that it's an Osbourne Kingswift,C1967, twin inboard ford 1600 petrols, 25ft long and its made of f'glass.

has any one ever heard of it and if so where did it come from?

miket

Visit site
Re: what\'s my boat?

Yes.
Had one in our club until recently.

Very few are all GRP (inc' superstructure). Most have GRP hull and Plywood Superstructure.

Excellent hull, whole built by William Osbourne, who used to make RNLI boats around that vintage.

Variuos engines, usually outdrive. Twin Perkins 4107/8 popular. A few had large engines, and gave quite a respectable top speed.

Nice boat. Watch out for rot in the plywood super', if applicable.

aztec

Visit site

cheers for the reply, and yes it does have rot in the super structure, but i think it can be repaired, the biggest problem is that it has two 1600 cortina engines in it and i dont know if i can replace these engines for diesels and leave the out drives in place.!

miket

Visit site

The perkins 4107/8 diesels had the old Enfield outdrives, which may be what you have already. If so I guess it may be quite straight forward to swap, if outdrives are in good shape. If you want more performance you will need different legs.

I'm sure there are lots of professionals you could ask. The only one I have any experience with is Lancing Marine. Seem quite happy to talk alternatives, with no commitment.

Castletine

Visit site

William Osborne are still in existence in Littlehampton - you might want to give them a call. From what I can tell they are a family style of business and most of the people have worked there for years and are related to the forebears.

I have a 1931 Osborne Motor Yacht that was apparently designed 'on the back of a fag packet' and had been built by one of the current worker's father!

Good luck

aztec

Visit site

cheers, i never expected such a good reply on this one but have been pleasantly suprised, everyone seems so helpful.

i have been to see the boat again today and have made an offer, i just hope that it's the right one.

i dare say that i will be visiting the forum more than i imagined as there is so much knowledge out there.

thanks again to all who have replied.

cheers steve.