Whats going on here?

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Whilst moored at Staines this afternoon, I noticed that the water seemed to be moving past the boat. In fact, when I let go the lines, the boat started moving down stream before I put the engine into gear /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Now I think of it, there wasnt so much room to spare as usual when I passed under the bridge at the entrance to my marina.

Should I be treating Staines as a secondary port? Do I need to introduce an offset into the GPS?

Is this what the EA meant when they said they would be pouring extra resources into the river?

TrueBlue

Visit site
There were some very heavy storms to the West about a couple of weeks ago and so much water in the river that many locks had pulled at least a couple of radials (as opposed to the normal summer "shut in"). Coming downstream through one of the wibly bits, I stupidly slowed for one fisherman and lost control completely as the stream was so strong it carried me onto the bank. Shan't do that again.

The lock keeper at Osney told me of a boat that got carried onto his House weir piles due to the same stream.

It took about four days for all the water to subside.

That's what the Thames does, it's a gigantic drain, and most folk don't notice changes in the level 'cos there's not that much flow in the "season". Try navigating in/out of the Wey past the Shepperton house weir when it's running on amber or red. Quite an experience!

theguvnor

Visit site
The Thames at Henley can be a bit fraught after heavy rain. It`s quite shallow and the locals say "if someone has a pi$$ at Reading - Henley floods"

Henley Bridge, due to its narrow arches, can reach 20mph at times, and considering if you are with the stream you must go faster than the water for any control, you had better be lined up straight or its a big bang!

When I was moored there I saw a few locals with small engines choose to go through backwards !