What would you recommend for Charging?

oakleyb

Visit site
I’m trying to work out how i should configure my charging circuit. I have 1 starter and 2 domestic, domestic is made up of 2 115amp deep cycle batteries and both banks are charged via alternator. What should i purchase to increase charging etc. In the future i will also have some solar and rutland 913\4 and charger for alongside

There seems to be many ways of achieving this but thought i'd get ideas from many

thanks

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
If you need increased input to match output then it depends on what type of use the boat will have.
I'll assume moored up you are thinking you will plug in to mains.
If you motor freuquently during cruising, in and out of harbours or anchorages then this can be enough to cover useage. If you are sailing longer passages then a towed generator is a good option as you don't need to run the engine and you keep your diesel for motoring if you're becalmed or should you have problems with the rig. Solar is good to trickle in sunny climates.

But a starting point is to look at what your useage will be and work backwards.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
I’m trying to work out how i should configure my charging circuit. I have 1 starter and 2 domestic, domestic is made up of 2 115amp deep cycle batteries and both banks are charged via alternator. What should i purchase to increase charging etc. In the future i will also have some solar and rutland 913\4 and charger for alongside

There seems to be many ways of achieving this but thought i'd get ideas from many

thanks

Faced with this Q, I went for a 4 stage charger attached to the alternator to use the engine, when on, to bestest effect. Excellent outcome.

Also fitted a 240 shore charger, again 4 stage system, for alongside.

Each of these will cost about £200 plus fitting but will last a long time.

Solar is not useless, but is very restricted in these latitudes.

A Rutland, or some somthing similar putting in 4-5 amph is a good investment by all accounts but only preferable to a shore charger if alongside berthing is rare. When alongside you can load in 20 amph (if that's the output) and that goes a long way to keeping your batteries in Dartmouth condition!

PWG

BabaYaga

Visit site
What should i purchase to increase charging etc.

Best purchase might well be a third domestic battery, if there is room. That would leave you with over 100 Ah to use before charging again, if you were to aim for cycling your battery bank between 80 and 50 percent state of charge.
Putting those 100 Ah back should be pretty fast with a 60 - 80 A alternator running at a reasonable rpm.
You would also need a maximum charge once every couple of weeks to maintain battery capacity and prolong their lifespan. Easiest with a three stage shore power charger over night. Solar will also top up, but needs more time.

William_H

Visit site
Charging

What is the problem for the OP. That set up should be pretty good. A large battery bank will soak up a lot of current from the alternator even without fancy charge controller. Fit another domestic battery and you will soak up even more current from the engine alternator. Assuming you have a voltage sensing relay to automatically put domestic batteries on charge or you do it manually with switching.
Fit an amp meter if you don't already have one. That will show charge current and indicate when further engine running is not charging so much.
However a mains charger will ensure all batteries are fully charged. good luck olewill

dt4134

Visit site
I agree with Peter Gibbs.

I fitted a Sterling A-to-B charger. Cost me £235 and about three days of contorting myself into inaccessible places to lead the wiring to it (I could've done a shoddy job in a day).

It was well worth it and the batteries charge much quicker when the engine is running.