What would be good for my sole?

John the kiwi

Visit site
As folk in the northern hemisphere are getting into warmer weather we in NZ are cooling down and looking at winter tasks.
My water ballasted GOP trailer yacht needs some cosmetic work including cabin sole. Previous owner used an acrylic(water based) non skid paint over the original enamel which is in turn on top of the Epoxy coated ply.
The acrylic non skid is all flaking in patches all over the sole at the same time so i guess the 3 years is up. The surface was horrible anyway as it trapped dirt like a well designed dirt trap so the question arises as to what to replace it with? The interior stays mostly very dry apart for m galley spills and wet feet but there are no bilges as such.

Under consideration
Marine carpet.
A One pot paint or a two pot paint with a light sprinkle of non skid.
3 mm Veneers of mahogany set in epoxy as floorboards then sanded and varnished.(Lots of work that one)
Any other idea or suggestions welcomed. Thanks

robertj

Visit site
John
I supose it depends on how much workyou wish to put in. I do
find that a presentable floor gives a good appearance all round.

If the old coating can be removed without damage why not try the water based satin finish without the grit added, it depends on how much non slip you need down there.
Or as you mentioned hard wood vaneer stuck to the original flooring and sanded.
If you wished to spend money with the new veneer you could then inlay strips of a contrasting hardwood, time consuming and expensive unless you're able to source cheap materials.
Carpet, looks good and can be replaced easily when it starts to look tatty, it's down to you.
I do envy you living in NZ as I visited last year for the rugby WC, toured around watching different games (not to follow England specifically as Cornwall doesn't have a national side like Wales, Ireland and Scotland) nearly as far north if North Island to Duneeden in South Island.
Apart from the countries unbelievable beauty itself, I was stunned by the freedom which you Kiwi's enjoy and your friendly quiet warm nature that you offer.
Only downside, I would not be able to emigrate due to varyng factors.

Hope your refit goes well

bob

RobBrown

Visit site
Water resistant carpet is the most flexible, straightforward, effective and relatively inexpensive. Carpet tiles perhaps best. In UK we have a kitchen/bathroom type called Flotex- don't know if available in the Land of the Long Cloud, but if so, would suggest you have a look @ that as a possible solution.

For the soul, I think its confession!

Last edited:

multihullsailor6

Visit site
I do not like carpets at all on a boat, when they get wet - and they will - they stay wet a long time. Plus the sea salt crystals dont let them dry out properly or easily!

When I bought my current boat in Holland the soles were covered with cork tiles - good idea as they have good acoustic and thermal insulation properties and look good (depending on what you like). I then moved my boat to the Med with the result that the cork tiles in the saloon shrunk, leaving big gaps between the tiles.

I have now covered the cork tiles in the saloon with self-stick house-hold PVC tiles. With a little bit more of adjusting some individual tiles where the sun gets to and they expand I am very happy.

John the kiwi

Visit site
Not a bad haul so far.

Thanks for all answers so far.
Sailing is the best thing for my immortal soul.:D
I hadnt considered carpet squares, cork tiles or PVC.
Must check out the bathroom flooring options at the hardware mega store.
My sole is not very big, the boat is only 26 ft. Is there a good way to retain a single piece of carpet so that it can be removed for wash and dry but doesnt move under foot? Velcro perhaps or stainless push studs in each corner?

Thanks again for your posts

mawm

Visit site
I know it is poor form to link to other sites……but crew.org.nz has a technical section in their forums. The advantage is that the posters know the local market and product.

Please accept that I am in no way running down YBW/PBO forums where many posters so generously give high quality advice.

rob2

Visit site
I have a beautiful hardwood sole , alternate strips of mahognay and teak with oiled finish. I have a carpet runner of the ribbed commercial type with rubber back which fits perfectly and does not slip! It is supposed to be washable, so I must hang it out next time it really rains.

Rob.

VicS

Visit site
Like Rob2 i have a ribbed rubber backed carpet on the cabin sole. It was sold as "hall runner" IIRC in a local DIY storre.

The only sag seems to be that the rubber backing deteriorates slowly in contact with GRP

John the kiwi

Visit site
So this sort of thing...
http://www.wickes.co.uk/vinyl-floor-planking/invt/620139/

seems very cheap, very easy and quick to lay, would probably look pretty good... but would it still look good after a few weeks?

looks tempting - it is "only" a boat after all. but i want a good result so that i don't have to do it again in a year or two.
These self adhesive vinyls and carpet squares leave me with a vision of an older me in 2 years time cursing my younger self as i try and scrape off residues of adhesives that only stick to the boat, my skin and my clothes and not to the tiles they came with which have failed dismally.
Am i right or wrong?
I really only want to do this one time.
So far refinishing the sole in a quality one pot paint with non skid added and possibly rubber backed carpet seems best option?

barnaclephill

Visit site
So far refinishing the sole in a quality one pot paint with non skid added and possibly rubber backed carpet seems best option?

I think so. I think that is easiest, as the rubber backing grips.

On my boat I have carpet affixed to the sole with Liquid Nails spread all underneath the carpet. It lasts for years. The edges can slowly peel away. If I ever want to change the carpet, I might have to use the angle grinder and sanding flap disk to get rid of all the Liquid Nails. But rubber backed carpet, on a single pot, or other very durable paint seems best.