What size spinnaker ?

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
I am looking at a couple of second hand options to replace what came with the boat - 2 symmetric kites, neither in particularly good condition.

Celestine has a masthead rig, with an I measurement of 50ft, 15.25m.

What is the optimum size of luff/leaches and foot for a symmetric kite, for dead down wind and broad reaching in light to medium strength winds ?

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Dunno. Bought ours off a guy in a car park (Lix Toll). Seems to work well enough.

BTW, I realise that my response has not been much help to you, but just trying to maintain a Scuttlebutt tradition.....

ytd

Visit site
I have always worked on a spinnaker luff length the same or 10% less than the forestay length (assuming a masthead rig). I think I got it from a sailmaker originally.

lw395

Visit site
The pole probably wants to be a bit more than half the foot.
The pole should be roghly horizontal.
For downwind in light air, big is good, up to the point you cannot properly see where you are going!
If you want to make fast passages in moderate weather, a smaller kite is useful.
You want something that looks resonable in a photo....

BAtoo

Visit site
I'd go for 5-10% less than forestay length and let the width take care of itself as most are of similar height/width ratios. Push the numbers if you want a big one, cut them back if you want a smaller one.....

I don't think spinnakers are rocket science to cut................

But I'm sure some will beg to differ....

BA Kite.jpg

This started life as a storm spinnaker for a Sigma 38 (I think), then was re-cut by my mate for his Sigma 362 and has ended up on my First 310....

Works & looks OK to me....

Last edited: