What sealant

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
What is the consensus on sealants. I used to be a fan of Sikaflex but it has failed in my resealed windows.
Usage underwater sounds risky.
What is the best choice under rubbing strakes?

Thanks in anticipation.

<hr width=100% size=1>GBW

danielbroad

Visit site
The "Dow Corning Marine Sealant" with 10 year guarantee that you find in chandlers is the best i've used - its silicon though so only use above the waterline.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Failure of Sikaflex.

This is a surprise, as I've found it extremely reliable, including on window-frames and underwater. Two suggestions though:

- It goes off and for best results must be used within a limited time, about 6 months from purchase and within two or three weeks of first opening, even though it is workable for longer.

- There are various grades of Sikaflex. The commonest, Sikaflex-291 is not UV proof and is not recommended for bedding windows, particularly the frameless type. Sikaflex-295/UV should be used.

An alternative is 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant, also a range of grades, polyurethane based like Sikaflex. The non-adhesive silicon sealants like Dow Corning are also effective, but less reliable in critical applications.

DepSol

Visit site
Re: Failure of Sikaflex.

The 3M UV 400 is the best there is and wont go yellow either.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.soltron.co.uk>the website</A>

BigLes

Visit site
I've recently had the same problem - bonded the Acrylic windows directly to the GRP coach roof, and now after about 6 weeks they are leaking. Having investigated I have found the bonding has detached from the Acrylic and now realise I used the wrong sealant (SikaFlex 292), I should also have prepared the Acrylic before bonding. I should have used SikaFlex 295UV, abraded the Acrylic and painted Primer 290 directly on to the Acrylic. Once dried then bond the windows.

See: www.sikaindustry.com/ind/ipd-marine.htm

Needless to say I will be trying this once I have removed the offending windows again!

<hr width=100% size=1>

alec

Visit site
I have had excellent results from the following :-

Life Caulk - Skin fittings etc. Cures by moisture and designed for
underwater use.

Life Seal - Designed for bedding in windows. Nice shiny finish and good
UV resistance.

Even when I have used 'marine' type silicones results have been poor. Possibly due to seawater contact and UV.

REgards,

<hr width=100% size=1>