What precisely is this skeg (pic enc.) meant to be for?

burgundyben

Visit site
Skegs like that often have the bottom of the rudder tied into them. But not in this case it seems.

Its just struck me they are called skegs as once capsized the boat look like a skegosaurus.

sarabande

Visit site
That's surely an oversize prop ?

Perhaps the driver has dinged it on previous occasions. I can't see it doing much for the linear flow of water to the blades.

MapisM

Visit site
Yup, probably meant to make the boat capable to be grounded, as already mentioned.
But there's a strong afterthought flavor in that thing, because the boat looks fast(ish), and there's a reason why you never see such solution in P boats: the last thing you want is a bad interference with the waterflow in the lower half of the prop, which is what grants much more than 50% of the total thrust.
That's bound to heavily affect the boat performance, in an exponential relationship with speed.

Firefly625

Visit site
Protecting the prop when taking any ground perhaps.

I would have thought that was spot on.. just looks a bit odd as not attached to the bottom of the rudder as is the norm. So maybe perhaps an addition?

My Mitchell has one, but is attached to rudder base..
ur2qFp-1H4ylyLLhYpEjgl-sVfJ5UNLjs8Vvft3yIkjKGgXyV3AtueDpLQx9KXW4drugsFKmVCsMwoGPAjwmovoD_XqqTgwRjwHMBQGWesLs46MC7Po5Yv-YRIfc22Giuo_DW449s6Tei4Kl78cM4c8Y9PsIKi6GRVC-t0RMmzbb2LvZwld5JFzwtZfnRSSMsLaWAieGc6bM8irIJ-q7pvkf7SvO8s62xDrhinkH5ifUVfRzVPm18Vq1lG9dbSu9u-HI9mhSmUswSj9skhWh7al6lv4zvFpTfuDTJrs13kPupFSg8eQgzZRGdusqJOTG8jhYU4NJzku7U6cks1Wt9K0HoLBx5G6Sonc1fylCSxvMbMdc1ANkB56izthP7Dd_CsA-MpVixQcPOOEVj0FS_lMGlyRToFVgNv732NNxI9DdvzjWPxcGGEelwhPGy1ISmWxiayOn8YMnQBC6i1woggIzqWOCmPd8Yl0aM2d-SDm5SEqPOLNo59U7tIkaW21H7n4HSNsg1NI4tQSIwIBwN7lPv0zuFnCo3j6wdvqiAoxqlu5XYSJFw2r-y7OfRm3lrep-5hDkEKs7ZDxAJXPG2LKei2HaYdbZ6RkPmJxSczZPr2hEO08yiazC8lPmD2ghlZeKI5vDlH-dZi1yr7QLa8c9_-5iBoMO=w1314-h985-no

Andy Cox

Visit site
To me it looks as though it's an add on of some sort. I can't help but think if the designer intended it to be there, then as on Firefly's Mitchell, it would be connected to the bottom of the rudder to provide additional vertical strength.

I don't think it's intended to take the ground, there's too much leverage at the end of it (the bit that would normally be supported by the rudder) and I think there'd be a risk of it bending up into the prop or breaking away and damaging the hull at the mounting point.

I wonder if it's intended to deflect floating rope or pot marker lines away from the prop?

All of course just my humble opinion:)
Andy