"what owning a yacht is like in real life"

CLB

Visit site
"Hiring crew members is a must, and experts recommend one per passenger. Captains cost roughly $1,000 per year per foot of boat, which adds up to $110,000 for a 100-foot yacht."

Great maths :D

Kelpie

Visit site
I must be a grumpy misanthrope, I didn't buy a boat in order to impress or entertain other people. How selfish of me!

capnsensible

Visit site
Of course - so you can have one to cruise about in and have parties on, while taking your time to have a thorough aesthetic update done on the other. Then swap over. How very sensible.

Well actually, no. One to live on, one to earn a living from. :cool:

The high lifestyle is for the Chandler........

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
To assist in defining the term, is my friend E.B., seen here on Aldeburgh Beach, complete with RYA Ocean and Commercial Endorsement,

currently working as a deckhand on this:

(Usual superyacht rules apply, so the vessel is not identified, but you can own it for a mere $160M)

a “bimbo”?

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
In my book, the definition of a bimbo includes the ability to look good in or out of a bikini, which I suspect your friend would, but also implies an absence of very much between the ears, where she fails miserably, so not a bimbo.

OTOH, she'd be welcome on my boat at any time - good crew are always welcome and I'll bet I'd learn a thing or two (about sailing for those of you with minds like sewers :) )

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Our “honorary daughter” as we only had boys. Can be very hard work; navigates with precision and expects everything to be done right, immune to weather, enjoys the North Sea and the Channel in winter but most definitely a safe pair of hands
aboard. At Warsash, was the only girl in her class, the only Asian, and the only one who knew how to splice wire. Suspect that all serious yachtswomen are similar.

johnalison

Visit site
Our “honorary daughter” as we only had boys. Can be very hard work; navigates with precision and expects everything to be done right, immune to weather, enjoys the North Sea and the Channel in winter but most definitely a safe pair of hands
aboard. At Warsash, was the only girl in her class, the only Asian, and the only one who knew how to splice wire. Suspect that all serious yachtswomen are similar.
She looks a bit like Liz Bonnin, who is probably quite clever herself, though whether she is any use on a boat I've no idea.