What (non adhesive) sealant for deck hardware?

mrming

instagram.com
It seems that Sikaflex 291 is often the answer whenever a sealant question is asked, however I'm interested in finding out if there's any less sticky alternatives.

I occasionally have to remove a piece of deck hardware for servicing (e.g. a clutch or jib car track). When putting them back I'd like to be able to seal them but not stick them, as there's a good chance I'll want to get them off again in the future.

The fittings are bolted through so there's no danger they're going anywhere, the sealant is literally just to prevent water ingress.

Is there a suitable non-adhesive sealant out there?

PhillM

Visit site
Bda marine use a 2 part sealant called rubba seal. Not found a supplier yet and will ask when I am down on Saturday but it seems just what you want. It comes in two packs and you get two knobs and kneed it together until its mixed.

Call Dave and I am sure he would tell you, or I can ask at the weekend.

Unless anyone else knows the supplier.

maby

Visit site
I've been on the point of asking this question myself. I'm doubtful about anything (relatively) solid like nitrile rubber gaskets or glazing strips on deck hardware mounted on teak decks - not going to seal over the caulking strips, I would guess. Is there no non-setting mastic that can be applied?

northwind

Visit site

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Thanks for the link - been meaning to search for butyl tape. It seems it's widely used in the USA but haven't previously seen it around in Old Blighty.

1) Does the team think 3mm thick is enough (before compression by the fitting)?

2) Anyone any experience of 'Bear Tape'? I've seen it on sale in a couple of places with no explanation of what it is. This ad (probably not the cheapest it can be found) says it's 'vinyl foam tape' http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/marine-tapes/psp/vinyl-foam-tape2724-272991.bhtml .

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
If you want it in a tube here you go...

http://www.arbo.co.uk/arbo-sealants/arbomast-br/

It is the standard gloop on all fittings on Dragonfly boats, and it is one of the best decisions they have made. If a fitting needs removing years later not only does it come off or out with a quick lever with a screwdriver but I found that the old gloop underneath was still gloopy enough to be scraped off, rolled up into a ball, and used again. No leaks either.

mrming

instagram.com
If you want it in a tube here you go...

http://www.arbo.co.uk/arbo-sealants/arbomast-br/

It is the standard gloop on all fittings on Dragonfly boats, and it is one of the best decisions they have made. If a fitting needs removing years later not only does it come off or out with a quick lever with a screwdriver but I found that the old gloop underneath was still gloopy enough to be scraped off, rolled up into a ball, and used again. No leaks either.

Even better - thanks!

Fantasie 19

Visit site

Poignard

Visit site
I recently used Arbo BR (butyl rubber) as bedding compound for deck fittings. Cheap (£4.85/cartridge from Arthur's Chandlery, Gosport), and easy to use but it shrank badly.

Next time I used CT1 and that was fine. That cost £8.30/cartridge from Buildbase, Gosport.

I think the butyl rubber tape would have been worth trying. Maybe next time ....

Cspirit

Visit site
I've cut nitrile rubber gaskets to go under some deck cleats. Neat, clean, don't leak.
Bda marine use a 2 part sealant called rubba seal. Not found a supplier yet and will ask when I am down on Saturday but it seems just what you want. It comes in two packs and you get two knobs and kneed it together until its mixed.

Call Dave and I am sure he would tell you, or I can ask at the weekend.

Unless anyone else knows the supplier.

Concerto

Visit site
Definitely Butyl Rubber. I bought a roll of black and it is nearly completely used. None of the fittings have leaked like stanchion bases and winches, I have even used it underwater for new anode bolts. It can be multi-layered if needed, then tightened down with any excess squeezed out. The excess can be trimmed with a knife, and the fitting retightened the following day. A little more will squeeze out. If it leaves any stuck to the deck or fitting, then it can be removed with white spirit. Brilliant stuff and always ready to use and never goes off, plus any fitting can still be removed in the future unlike Sikaflex 291 which is an adhesive.