What is the state of Boat Lockdown in the UK?

Kawasaki

Visit site
I am lucky living in Hythe Marina with the boat attached to the house. Been fully occupied emptying her as she is for sale, since my wife died no crew so her nice Nimbus 340C is now all ready!
jtwebb, such a shame I have looked at the advert for your boat
Looks lovely and it shows that your Wife was involved with the Care
Much too tidy for a Bloke!!!:)
Rememeber the good times friend, I,m sure there were loads
Nice Nimbus and you are in a great spot.
Good luck with the Sale
K

jtwebb

Visit site
jtwebb, such a shame I have looked at the advert for your boat
Looks lovely and it shows that your Wife was involved with the Care
Much too tidy for a Bloke!!!:)
Rememeber the good times friend, I,m sure there were loads
Nice Nimbus and you are in a great spot.
Good luck with the Sale
K
Now I have emptied and cleaned her she is looking a bit smart. My wife was indeed determined she would look good and be good to live on for extended trips, nice upholstery and curtains! Have checked everything OK, even drop tested the batteries today. On the other hand you should see the kitchen and hall, need to sort the garage now to put it there neatly until I know what the future is.

Rickard

Visit site
As you probably heard here in Sweden everything is open and if you ask me most people don´t seem to care or realize what´s going on
Marinas are open. People work on their boats. People are out on the water or in the small harbors of the old fishing villages out on the islands
Not to many boats in the water yet but I was out on an island this weekend and the boaters act just like any other day with no restrictions what so ever
For me who just got back from spending the winter in Florida where most is shut down the situation here in Sweden feels very strange
Many peolpe don´t use their brain and compare the number of deaths in Sweden to Italy or USA but if you see to our population of just over ten million the numbers for Sweden is bad...

Sevendaysinmay

Visit site
I’ve had a bit of a nightmare with this! I ordered an XO 270 Front Cabin in January after months of research on Targa, Nimbus, Axopar and even Rafnar hulls. Working closely with the dealer we specced the boat with some juicy gear (including twin Merc 250hp and joystick control, radar, searchlight etc) and submitted it in order to get the boat by mid-March latest.

Things started to get tense when the boat had still not left the factory in early March - I had planned to sail her down from North Wales to Falmouth over 3 days and booked time off with 2 friends, including accommodation in Neyland and Penzance for stop-overs starting on March 18.

The boat finally arrived in the UK on 14 March just as the Coronavirus pandemic was really starting - Poland locked down the day after the boat left and I thought we’d just about got through in time. But then in sea trials a fuel pump issue was identified.

To cut a long and emotional story short the 18th came around and we couldn’t go to Wales to get it and from that day on we’ve been under lockdown so it remains secured up there and I still haven’t seen Blackfin, my pride and joy!

(Also, the dealer’s offer to transport it to Falmouth for delivery was stymied by the fact that all lifting facilities at Falmouth, Mylor and other boatyards have been suspended so there’s no way to get it off the trailer!)

Hi, I've been looking at the same suite of boats (Targa 32, Nimbus C -11, Axopar 37, Paragon 31, Sargo) and was interested in your decision to go with the XO270. Would you be willing to share your thoughts?

willbank

Visit site
Hi, I've been looking at the same suite of boats (Targa 32, Nimbus C -11, Axopar 37, Paragon 31, Sargo) and was interested in your decision to go with the XO270. Would you be willing to share your thoughts?

Sorry, only just seen this. Delighted to.

In brief: I was looking for a boat of 28-37 feet, with a fully enclosed cabin so we can go out in winter, a heater, reasonable offshore credentials, good looks and swift, 45 knots +. Also a cabin or two and good sunshine lounging spots!

I like the Baltic manufacturers because they have to use their boats in all weathers for commuting to work so they’re no nonsense, capable and not built for Mediterranean posing.

I was originally attracted to the Axopars but the 28 only has a canvas roof for the cabin, the freeboard is very low and overall I spent a lot of time lurking on various Forums and there was a sense that build quality wasn’t ideal. (This may or may not be true but that worried me...)

The 37 was just too big for my usual patterns and extra length increases all sorts of costs given how many calculations are based on boat length.

One of the reasons I care about toughness is that I want this to boat to take me to visit every rock lighthouse around Britain over the next few years and so it will get some rough treatment. I like to go out in decent weather (1-2m for sure) and need something tough.

I’d have loved a Targa or Paragon but just don’t find the interiors attractive enough and they are fearsomely expensive when spec’d up to run fast.

Liked the looks of the Nimbus and Sargo boats too but they have much less aggressive hulls (XO 270 has 24 degrees deadrise) and also are much more expensive when configured similarly.

Thrilled with the XO. Happy to go into why if you wish!

Sevendaysinmay

Visit site
Willbank, this is very helpful and we share a lot if the sand thoughts. Perhaps you could email me at tfeldstein at yahoo. I would love to continue this discussion.