What is a classic?

byron

RIP
Visit site
As the unashamed owner of a plastic modern stinkpot I confess an admiration of 'classics' . I have neither the skills, fortitude or patience to maintain one myself. This does not however stop me regularly looking at www.classicsales.co.uk and wondering when a boat can be considered a 'classic'
I mean, is a Freeman 20 from the 60s a classic, is a Broom Contintal or Ocean 37 one. I would love to hear other people's views on the subject.

©2001

peterg

Visit site
a conspiracy ensues...

Byron, this is obviously a cruel trick to get me to part with yet more money on objects of desire (clinker river launch, Austin Healey 3000, Jaguar E-Type, Ducati Hailwood Replica) please stop this at once before my wife/bank manager find out!

PS: I think you just 'know' a classic when you see one, like a Nelson or Fairey for example no matter when it was built (although I suspect there will be fewer real GRP classics than wooden ones)

G

Don’t think there;s an official definition of “classic”, so here goes

IMHO a classic (boat, car, machine, house) should possess excellent design and style at the time at which it was produced (whenever that was) such that those design and styling values are still recognisable today. Hence they have actual (money) value. The style and the design may be recognised in different proportions.

Much arises from above: lots of us like classic for their style but would not own one cos they cost more to run and perform less well - current functional design has improved.

IMHO very few cars and boats have classic qualities. Far more so-called classics are of the same era as some similar things that were classic. So praps an E-type was a classic (surely in styling anyway) but that doesn’t mean that a Ford Anglia is classic.

Against the same functional spec, old cars and boats don’t perform as well as modern. Some old racing boats are jolly good but not as good as if we were to use modern materials and methods, and try again. So classics are admired by many (for their style) but owning and using them is a different matter because modern design is more functional. “Classic” boats tend to be ones operating in easy areas where their looks are more important than their function. They are river or lake boats, or day coastal sailboats.

One advantage of classics is with motor vehicles. I was stopped at huge speed on a Norton, The police stopped and wanted to have a good look at it, and didn’t mention that I was speeding.

Classic houses lots of space, and are in good places. But still would be better if knocked down and rebuilt to same functional design with modern materials. Spose they’d lose “atmosphere”, another thread.

IMHO, some things truly are classic in their style AND their function. Stradivarius (sp?) violins and (some) bottles of claret are better than a modern equivalent, no matter how hard people try to replicate.

As for the boats and cars, fraid I now let others do all the work for me to enjoy the visuals, and remind myself of those awful days when we had to push-start dad’s car.

G

Re: What is a classic? *DELETED*

Post deleted by kimhollamby

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Actually, I think you'll find you bought a Carver Montego, if memory serves

chippie

Visit site
Re:Huge speed on Norton

Matts, just as a matter of interest(to me)what was the huge speed on the Norton?
I still remember through sepia tinted memories the Nortons I once owned.(and should never have sold.) Cheers.

G

Re: not a norton

I said it was a Norton as poetic licence, so peeps wd understand old motorbike.

It was actually a Royal Enfield (aka Royal Oilfield). Actually, as anyone with old (classic haha) car/bike, you have enuf kit for two. Started with 250, it blew up in Paris, had loads of spares, but not main bearings. Byt the time the AAS turned up I was down to the crank. Then v dangerous RE Constellation, a 700 cc. All 60's REs had the same bore size. Anyway, crap brakes but slippery fairing, made stopping a nightmare. A massive speed? the RE 250 crusader sport was reputedly the fastes production 250 cc ever at around 90mph, so found a suzuki on a road in Bradford and nailed it past at 95 on the clock, but the clock busted, etc etc etc police flashing lights, managed to pursuade police that wasn't jack the ripper, ah and all the hammer and stuff in the paniers is to fix the bike, oh altright then... similar stuff with 700, my record is being stopped 4 times in a day.