What happened to the global warming they promised?

andrewhopkins

Visit site
It was fantastic for about 10 days up until this week. 25 degrees +, sunshine and even some wind but now look at it.

Rain, rain, rain....

However, it looks like there is a bright patch coming this weekend so get out on your boats people, after that it will be winter and cold miserable days await.

What is the matter with England ? I can't beleive we're going to get just 2 weeks of summer. I'm sure it used to be better than that, i can remember being a 14 year old in the summer holidays out on my bike for weeks and weeks (or did it just seem like that then)

What happened to global warming they promised us ?

billmacfarlane

Visit site
If it snows next week the weather men will say it's due to the effects of global warming. If it's 40C and scorching they'll say it's due to global warming. If we get Noah's ark floating by next week they'll say it's due to global warming. The simple fact is we get weather in this country and at the moment we're not getting the decent stuff. Before global warming raised its head I remember a stinking August where we had constant gales , I think 1986. I sold my boat in July that year and was accused of being clairvoyant. Let's face it we have to grab the good stuff when it's going. Enjoy your weekend and be grateful you've got a boat. My new one isn't due until October. Mind you I'm off to Hurst Point this Sunday to watch the J Classes racing so I'm hoping for a decent blow to see them at their best.

tony_brighton

Visit site
Unfortunately global warming doesn't translate to a nice Miediterranean climate for us! As the air gets warmer it holds more moisture - so more rain!

What we are actually seeing is a blurring of seasons - so some winter sailing should be possible as compensation.

robp

Visit site
Be nice to think that the winter sailing would be on a nice crisp sunny day though Tony. It will actually just be colder rain!

No wonder they call us whinging Poms. It really does turn the corners of everyones mouth down

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Global warming and history.

If you saw last night's episode in the "Collapse of civilisations" series on BBC2, it was very evident that periods of temperature/rainfall/etc change, considerably greater than currently occurring, have been a persistent problem throughout history. The Mayan civilisation disappeared in the 9th century because of prolonged drought, despite being located in tropical rain forest.

Two weeks ago it was made clear that ancient Egypt disappeared several thousand years ago because of a prolonged period of cold.

There's nothing new about temperature change.

chas

Visit site
What Warming?

I understood global warning meant the opposite for the UK as the Gulf Stream would loose is effectiveness and cease to warm our waters. Perhaps its time to buy shares in Eberspacher?