What happened to MV Tiger at Burnham?

chrisjpotter

Visit site
For many years the elegant 1930s(?) motor yacht Tiger was moored in the Crouch opposite Tucker Brown's. Sonny Cole used to skipper her as I remember.

Does anyone know where she is now?

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
If it is the same Tiger, I understand that she was sailed to Antigua and lay forlorn at Jolly Harbour.
She was purchased by a chap in St.Kitts. He re nailed her hull, put in new engines (old ones were shot) and was well on the way to restoring her.

On a voyage near Cuba, Tiger encountered some heavy seas.
Her hull started to work quite a bit.
A few planks at the bow sprung and she took on water.
her pumps were not big enough.
The owner/captain called base on his satellite phone.
The base called the USCG.
The USCG came to the rescue a few hours later, even dropping pumps by helicopter until they arrived.
Unfortunately the pumps were not able to be brought aboard.
Tiger was floundering when the USCG arrived.
All persons aboard were saved.
Owner saved her bell and a few other items.
The owner suggested that the USCG skipper have his men use her as target practice, after all she was going to the bottom, might as well put her out of her misery.

Tiger is at the bottom of the ocean near Cuba.
She was not insured.

The owner asked the USCG Captain what was the charge for the rescue.

'The USCG does not charge for saving lives' was the reply.

All in all a sad tale.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Here is some info about Tiger from the 1991 Antigua Classics Regatta catalogue :

Tiger.jpg

Tiger1.jpg

I sailed in Antigua Race Week in 1987, and I remember that Tiger was the Committee Boat then as well.
I know I have some better photos of her somewhere, but where....... and I remember seeing her in an Oyster advert in the late 80's for the Oyster 55 (I think) who mopped up her class one year at Race Week, despite allegedly being in cruising (rather than racing) trim.

norfolkranger

Visit site
I remember Tiger she was moored behind XYZ any news of her?

Hi I remember her as she was moored up stream from XYZ my uncles 52ft ex seaplane tender. Where is she now please last heard of in the late 60s owned by the MD of Ilford Laundry I think. great days for a sea loving lad. Pete

For many years the elegant 1930s(?) motor yacht Tiger was moored in the Crouch opposite Tucker Brown's. Sonny Cole used to skipper her as I remember.

Does anyone know where she is now?