What glue for rubber seal on Lewmar opening window ?

West Coast

Visit site
Noticed that the rubber seal fitted to the frame of my lewmar opening coachroof windows has come loose in places - what's the best glue to secure it back to the alloy frame?

Cheers

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
I have always used impact adhesive, the liquid rubber type that is used for laminated plastic sheets ('Formica' and similar). I don't know about Lewmar specifically but I would imagine that a rubber to aluminium bond would not be brand-specific.

Only last week I did the same operation with rubber foam (cut from a floor squeegee) and a Goïot opening portlight.

DownWest

Visit site
I did two hinged Lewmars yesterday. The old hardened rubber was leaking, so stripped it out and glued in some round neoprene from sealsdirect. Glue was Sika 11FC, a pu mastic adhesive. Around €7 a tube at the local B&Q
DW

Heckler

Visit site
d
Noticed that the rubber seal fitted to the frame of my lewmar opening coachroof windows has come loose in places - what's the best glue to secure it back to the alloy frame?

Cheers
None needed if the tiny groove is clean, the rubber has a corresponding bit of rubber strip that fits in the groove. However! as others have said various stuff works.
S

stuey_two

Visit site
What size neoprene did you use? The original Lewmar seals were much wider than they were thick - about 14 by 8 at a guess. I bought and used old stock original seals without success - loss of elasticity I think.

QUOTE=DownWest;5339629]I did two hinged Lewmars yesterday. The old hardened rubber was leaking, so stripped it out and glued in some round neoprene from sealsdirect. Glue was Sika 11FC, a pu mastic adhesive. Around €7 a tube at the local B&Q
DW[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
What size neoprene did you use? The original Lewmar seals were much wider than they were thick - about 14 by 8 at a guess. I bought and used old stock original seals without success - loss of elasticity I think.

At the suggestion of the Nice Man at Seals Direct (who have the official seals, if you are rich) I used 8mm diameter sponge neoprene stuck in with silicone sealant. By the time I got to portlight number seven I could do one in twenty minutes and, four years on, there isn't a hint of a leak from any of them.