What chart card for my Raymarine C90W chart plotter?

oldmanofthehills

Visit site

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I certainly did but added extra concerning Navionics interface re elderly products as a result of a 3 months saga trying to get the selfsame 28XG chart updated. We eventually didn't bother as Cardiff Barrage can be seen and the pillars for the 2nd Severn Crossing are on existing rocks so generally in my avoid-zone. I also clarified another way to better tell if he had any chart installed, which I was pretty sure he didn't. Navionics file names can be cryptic and don't always match map names

But he does have a chart installed, as i explained in post #12.

You said
I suspect you have no chart and previous owner took chart and SD card with them.

That's wrong, the plotter came with pre-installed charts, they cannot be removed. Supplemental charts can be used, they come on CF cartridges, not SD cards.

You also said
But Chart 28XG is what you want.

That won't help him whilst he's inland, but would be correct when he moves to tidal waters, if he feels the older Silver cartography isn't good enough (which would be a good idea).

dunedin

Visit site
Many Raymarine chartplotters in the UK market had pre-installed Navionics Silver, but I wonder whether this applied to all markets? The OP said his boat came from the south of France...

Our boat was first launched in France, and came with the preloaded basic chart on E90W - so suspect it was available European wide, but it may have been an option at time of purchase (as it was with later e-series)

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
That's wrong, the plotter came with pre-installed charts, they cannot be removed.

I didnt know and indeed am still not convinced they cannot ever be removed. What was wrong in suggesting he check whats there and determine "is" as against "should".

I noted he already said he was moving boat to coast so little need to worry about inland charts; much reason to worry about coastal. IMHO silver charts are fine and that or equivalent are what I use in BC.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I didnt know and indeed am still not convinced they cannot ever be removed. What was wrong in suggesting he check whats there and determine "is" as against "should".

I noted he already said he was moving boat to coast so little need to worry about inland charts; much reason to worry about coastal. IMHO silver charts are fine and that or equivalent are what I use in BC.

Sigh............

The charts cannot be removed.

But, one last time, you said
I suspect you have no chart and previous owner took chart and SD card with them

The charts were never on an SD card, the plotter takes CF cards, regardless, removing any card from the plotter (or the lack of one being there now) makes no difference to the presence of the Silver cartography.

Also, regardless of that, Silver cartography left a lot to be desired. It was lacking in a lot of detail. The OPs plotter may be 8 or so years old, so a chart update would be a good idea anyway, IMO.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Also, regardless of that, Silver cartography left a lot to be desired. It was lacking in a lot of detail. The OPs plotter may be 8 or so years old, so a chart update would be a good idea anyway, IMO.

Sigh!!
I will explain. Gold Charts do show more detail and I use them on one of my boats however some detail is rapidly outdated unless you pay annual exhorbitant subscription to Navionics which not all can afford. They never build new rocks, and sandbar depths shift from season to season even after you buy chart, and some capable seamen on this forum still use paper charts from before colour was common.

What detail does gold have that you really advise it or are you just trying to get the OP to spend money at a business such as yours?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
What detail does gold have that you really advise it or are you just trying to get the OP to spend money at a business such as yours?

LOL

My business is not selling chart cards and you're just being on offensive xxxx for suggesting so.

Generally speaking, if i'm installing an electronic system i ask the customer to supply the charts that he requires. That way, the subscription to the chart package is his, nothing to do with me, and i earn absolutely nothing from the charts.

i also earn absolutely nothing from posting here, but my advice regarding the C90W and its pre-installed Silver cartography is 100% accurate. I was fitting them when they were brand new, state of the art :)

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
LOL

My business is not selling chart cards and you're just being on offensive xxxx for suggesting so.

Generally speaking, if i'm installing an electronic system i ask the customer to supply the charts that he requires. That way, the subscription to the chart package is his, nothing to do with me, and i earn absolutely nothing from the charts.

i also earn absolutely nothing from posting here, but my advice regarding the C90W and its pre-installed Silver cartography is 100% accurate. I was fitting them when they were brand new, state of the art :)

One takes on PaulRainbow at one's peril:)

PaulRainbow

Visit site

LOL

Raymarine tried back in 2009, when they launched the C90W. Had one that kept losing GPS data, one of their support staff suggested it was because "they" may have turned the GPS off. That was an interesting conversation, he probably still remembers some of it :):):)

oldmanofthehills

Visit site

Hardly, Rainbow hasn't answered my question as to why he thinks Gold Charts are so essential. He merely poo pooed a very practical suggestion to enable the OP to visibly see what chart coverage he had, in favour of an examination of file name on system which is useful for potential chart supplier but otherwise less useful on the water.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hardly, Rainbow hasn't answered my question as to why he thinks Gold Charts are so essential. He merely poo pooed a very practical suggestion to enable the OP to visibly see what chart coverage he had, in favour of an examination of file name on system which is useful for potential chart supplier but otherwise less useful on the water.

See below, i've told you several times that the plotter came with Silver cartography, that cannot be removed. I've also told you that detail is lacking on the charts and that it could be well out of date, anything up to 10 yrs old.

I was fitting them 10 years ago, when they first came out and i had one on my boat in 2009. I felt then that the cartography was not detailed enough and purchased a Platinum card, which came on a CF cartridge, not the SD card you keep talking about.

Not sure how to be any clearer :confused::confused:

We have a C90W bought new in 2011. The chart was pre-loaded for all of Europe. Are you sure yours is blank ?

The C90W came pre-loaded with Navionics Silver cartography.

That said, the plotter may well be up to 8 years old, so you may want to buy up to date charts even if the Silver ones are installed.

our e7 came with Navionics Silver (if I recall correctly) for Europe - however, this did not include any detail beyond the 10m contour, and was not updatable without buying the (then) Navionics Gold which was more detailed and covering smaller areas.

But he does have a chart installed, as i explained in post #12.

the plotter came with pre-installed charts, they cannot be removed. Supplemental charts can be used, they come on CF cartridges, not SD cards.

Sigh............

The charts cannot be removed.

The charts were never on an SD card, the plotter takes CF cards, regardless, removing any card from the plotter (or the lack of one being there now) makes no difference to the presence of the Silver cartography.

dunedin

Visit site

As on owner of a similar E90W plotter, and one of the posters earlier ........ I totally agree with Paul Rainbow.

The Navionics Silver preinstalled will be very old now. And certainly on our version lacked any detail outside the 10m contour.
The OP asked what Charts we would recommend for his plotter and most of us, including PR, have recommended Navionics (various levels but I suggest Navionics Plus, similar to old Gold), which need to be on CF card format for this plotter. Whether the OP wants The U.K. wide area 28XG or a different one covering U.K. South coast and channel depends on preferred cruising area, and can easily be selected by viewing the coverage on Navionics site.

Not quite sure why you seem to want to argue with a very helpful fellow forumite and knowledgeable contributor. If the OP has any further questions on the suggestions I am sure he/she can ask them.

laika

Visit site
fwiw I asked at the navionics stand at the southampton boat show whether they'd stopped selling CF cards. The chap I spoke to said no and seemed confused as to why I'd even ask. Mind you he did seem to have a rather unusual demeanour.