What bait to 'capture' lobsters/crabs/fish/scuba divers?

Bav34

Visit site
I want to do this:

I have the camera, a suitable container, weights/string etc but I don't know what sort of bait to use, what to wrap it in to stop it being ripped to shreds too quickly, and hopefully the wrapping will anchor it to the container.

Any thoughts?

Oh, also, is there a minimum depth that lobsters/crabs operate at?

There is a brilliant anchorage close to where we keep our boat in Brittany, you can see the sandy/rocky bottom but I've never seen anything crawling around.

Thanks.

Pete7

Visit site
Bit of old fish attracts the crabs, which then attracts the lobsters. Depth doesn't matter, the old inner sea wall at Ballycastle next to the fish cleaning building was a great diving spot for lobsters which hid behind the conger eels in the crevices.

Pete

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
Good old smelly fish for Lobster (Mackerel for Preference), Crab prefer a fresher bait.

Where I fish (Tarbat Ness), I see Lobster pots dropped not 30 metres from the rocks, though i'm not sure how quickly the shelf drops away there.

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
As already stated, any old bit of fish will do. However more important is where you place the pot, ideally you want a reef type area rather than just a rocky seabed, crabs and especially lobsters like to have a front and rear exit to their holes, they don't seem to like the idea of being trapped with only one way out. This often means a substantial lump of rock is more likely to attract them. And make sure you leave the pit down at least overnight, that's when they are more likely to come out and move around.

As well as the pot, make sure you have a big enough pan on board to cook the beasts. Happy hunting!

Bav34

Visit site
Thanks. Any thoughts on what I could put the smelly fish in to stop it just being carried away? Plassy bag NOK but ... ooh I wonder if a bit of netting would do ... yes, thinking aloud here :encouragement:

Baku

Visit site
I have watched some kids in our marina have great success with bacon rind wrapped in muslin.

At low tide you could see the crabs running towards and fighting over it.

Some were a good size...although I suspect Marina crab from Portsmouth Harbour would probably be an acquired taste !

Grampus

Visit site
A piece of bacon on a hook will catch some fine edible crabs.

Lobsters and crabs caught here down at low water on spring tides. Crabs seem to like fresh bait, while old fish, especially if it has been salted, appears to be a lobster's delight.

agurney

agurney.com
I want to do this:

I have the camera, a suitable container, weights/string etc but I don't know what sort of bait to use, what to wrap it in to stop it being ripped to shreds too quickly, and hopefully the wrapping will anchor it to the container.

Any thoughts?

Oh, also, is there a minimum depth that lobsters/crabs operate at?

There is a brilliant anchorage close to where we keep our boat in Brittany, you can see the sandy/rocky bottom but I've never seen anything crawling around.

Thanks.

- fresh fish in shallow water for crabs; mostly shore crabs down to 30', velvet swimming crabs and edible crabs below that
- rotten fish deeper water for lobster and fewer crabs
- rotten fish on a silty bottom for prawns (proper Dublin bay/langoustine)
- expect starfish anywhere, and dogfish on flat muddy bottoms

put the bits in one of the net bags that you get with citrus fruit to keep them together and make them easier to handle

Most life comes out at night, but I caught few very large edible crabs in 30' in a couple of hours off Kinuachdrach one day while anchored for lunch.

I used to think lobsters lived around rocks, however the biggest lobster I've caught was about 18" long in 15' in Fairlie while diving on a mooring .. flat muddy bottom.

Bav34

Visit site
Top tips all, thanks.

I don't actually want to catch anything, I want to capture them on camera as per the video clip.

Mrs Bav has started a collection of the citrus fruit nets ... er, so that's one so far :encouragement:

oldbilbo

Visit site
To bait a trap for SCUBA divers, anything shiny will work :)

SCUBA divers? Bait...? S'easy.....

jb1.jpg

or

jb3.jpg

Garfish

Visit site
The mesh bags you can get for washing powder tablets are quick and easy. Put bait in bag along with a lead tied to line. Pull drawstring tight over lead. I often use this as a way of groundbaiting when boat fishing. If you want to attract crabs and fish in a marina environment use bread soaked in pilchard oil, liver also works well.