What are these called?

Harry P

Visit site
I need to secure my cockpit floor. It has machine-screws holding it down and these screw into nuts that are fitted to the underside of the rim that the floor sits on. I hope this makes sense:) Some of the nuts have fallen off and are missing. I want to replace them but don't know what they're called. Also are there any better ways of securing the cockpit floor? I have an Albin Vega in case that helps.

Regards

agurney

agurney.com
I need to secure my cockpit floor. It has machine-screws holding it down and these screw into nuts that are fitted to the underside of the rim that the floor sits on. I hope this makes sense:) Some of the nuts have fallen off and are missing. I want to replace them but don't know what they're called. Also are there any better ways of securing the cockpit floor? I have an Albin Vega in case that helps.

Regards

I just use four self tappers.
I've considered these in the past: http://tinyurl.com/37hzoep , but I'm not sure if there's enough thickness to hold them.

Alisdair - V752

PetiteFleur

Visit site
We have the same problem on an eight foot length of cabin floor, which is a reall pig to remove. I am going to saw it in half, and use aircraft-style quarter turn fasteners to secure it, and ake it easily and quickly removeable.

http://www.hall-fast.com/quarterturns_self.asp

I just used stainless self tappers when I refastened my sole - never had to lift them in 5 years(yet!)
The two lifting hatches just have the usual fold down rings.

PetiteFleur

Visit site

Regards

I fitted 'Hold downs' from Timage to secure my cockpit lifting sole after the survey when I bought it. Heavy duty and not cheap but very effective. http://www.timage.eu/Productimage.aspx?id=332

Tottington Hall, near Bury, in the Duchy of Lancas
Visit site
We have the same problem on an eight foot length of cabin floor, which is a reall pig to remove. I am going to saw it in half, and use aircraft-style quarter turn fasteners to secure it, and ake it easily and quickly removeable.

http://www.hall-fast.com/quarterturns_self.asp

Blasphemy! Aircraft 'Dzus' fasteners on an old boat? Howzabout some proper vernacular, eh? Wot's wrong with traditional copper roseheads and roves.....

:D

Old Troll

Visit site
Old Troll

Please get in touch with Steve Birch of the Vega Association ( VAGB Website) as Steve supplied me with the Screws and Fitting you are needing for your Vega cockpit floor. Perhaps he still has some screws and fittings you are requiring .I glassed in the underneath the cockpit floor screw thread parts and then lined up carefully before it all sets. All in All a strong and tidy job. Regards.

Harry P

Visit site
Guys thanks for all the interest.

There are some good ideas here but I still don't see what I'm looking for. First of all the nut needs to 'float' in a cage so the machine screws will locate easily. secondly they should be Stainless steel and machined for machine screws.... or perhaps should take self tappers.

The cage nut should be able to be fitted somehow under the hole thats already there on the rim. I remember seeing a cage type nut that had two 'wings' or 'flanges' with small holes on either side. These could be screwed or pop-riverted into position thereby holding the nut in a floating cage and preventing it from falling off or turning as the screw/bolt is being tightened or removed.

Any ideas?

Regards

Old Troll

Visit site
Old Troll

The fittings supplied to me by Steve Birch of VAGB were if I am correct stainless steel machine screws. The srews were also at a very reasonable cost. It was reccomended to attach the threaded lower part which had a flange/ rim to the underside of the cockpit rim with sikaflex. Then while keeping the threads clear of sikaflex attach the screws through the cockpit floor and line up and gently tighten but not completely down. After some hours tighten down. I later fibre glassed over the underparts of the machine screws. the screw heads have a Allen Key fitting for easy use. That was five years ago and I have had the cockpit floor Off regularly during maintanance etc and all fits perfectly. The machine screw fittings supplied are made specifically for the Vega. I trust that you find what you are looking for.

pvb

Visit site
I remember seeing a cage type nut that had two 'wings' or 'flanges' with small holes on either side. These could be screwed or pop-riverted into position thereby holding the nut in a floating cage and preventing it from falling off or turning as the screw/bolt is being tightened or removed. Any ideas?

Something like this one?

cc_na.gif

It's on the Rivetwise website, on their Cage Nut page, but confusingly most of the page talks about ordinary cage nuts, not these stainless, rivet-on captive nuts. Worth a phone call.

edbawden

Visit site
Some very complicated solutions listed.
I also have a Vega and needed to secure the cockpit floor prior to crossing the Thames esturary. I fitted standard plastic rawlplugs into the existing holes and screwed the floor down with brass wood screws. The whole job was finished in 30 min.

Regards

agurney

agurney.com
I also have a Vega and needed to secure the cockpit floor prior to crossing the Thames esturary. I fitted standard plastic rawlplugs into the existing holes and screwed the floor down with brass wood screws. The whole job was finished in 30 min.

Regards

I prefer to use pan head screws, wood screw (countersunk) heads can make a mess of bare toes if they start to lift.

Alisdair V752

Lakesailor

Visit site

Regards
I've found that boat owners can disappear up their own backsides developing ever-more complicated ways of doing things.
I have settled for; it works, it'll do.