What are chances of getting a visitors buoy in Newton Creek tomorrow?

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
What are chances of getting a visitors buoy in Newtown Creek tomorrow?

Never been before and I'd rather avoid any risk of anchoring mishaps this weekend by picking up a visitors' buoy, is this a forlorn hope?

Last edited:

gregcope

Visit site
Depends on the time of arrival. Before lunch is good to catch people leaving after an overnight, or mid afternoon to catch lose leaving after lunch (usually Motor Boats...).

Also, as it is past peak season, it will get less busy.

How much do you draw? If huge (40ft+) there are only a few bouys suitable either the 5 in the lake on the East as you go in, or the first few in the newtown creek part (to the SSW on entry). There are around 20 in the SSW newtown creek, to the SSW of the entrance.

Do go - you can always divert to Yarmouth, Lymington or Cowes which are all a short hop away depending on tide.

It is a lovely place. Very peaceful.

RobBrown

Visit site
Its Newtown Creek btw, but if you dont draw much and can get down to the buoys closer to the Shalfleet Quay end, where water a little thinner you have a reasonable chance even on a Saturday, especially since closer to end of season now. However anchoring isnt a real issue there, esp again if you can go a bit further in , or a bit further away from the fairway, probably slightly easier on the Clamerkin Lake side (to port on entry), or Shalfleet side, just past the visitors buoys.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Thanks, title now corrected :eek:

The boat is averaged sized but does, perhaps, need more than most to keep afloat so will keep an eye on the depths if I do find a spare mooring.

VicS

Visit site
Thanks, title now corrected :eek:

The boat is averaged sized but does, perhaps, need more than most to keep afloat so will keep an eye on the depths if I do find a spare mooring.

1.95 m is quite a draft for Newtown.

Calculate the local LW heights for the weekend and look at the charted depths for the area where the visitors moorings are located. I think anchoring in the deep water just inside the entrance may be your best ( only?) option.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Ah, and I'd just escaped the East Coast to have some more water under my keel :)

Almanac suggest between 2 and 2.5m at CD so maybe a visit on neaps might be more prudent.

VicS

Visit site

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I heeded VisS's advise about the depths given last weekend was approaching very big springs with a high pressure in effect further reducing depths so visited Beaulieu River and picked up a visitor's mooring just downstream from Gilbury hard.

Will try again on neaps!

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
I heeded VisS's advise about the depths given last weekend was approaching very big springs with a high pressure in effect further reducing depths so visited Beaulieu River and picked up a visitor's mooring just downstream from Gilbury hard.

Will try again on neaps!

Probably a good decision, Newtown Creek was surprisingly busy on Saturday. Several boats aground when trying to move about close to low water.