What am I supposed to do with this?????

Whitelighter

Visit site
Another purchase from Sailroom (I just can't help myself) which seemed like a good idea at the time as you can't see my anchor from the bridge and I like to try to keep all the crew in the cockpit whenever possible.

'You could do with a chain counter' says Col when we were in Greece, so when this popped up I bought it.

tn_martinsboatbits012.jpg

But, I think it is only the head/control unti. It is made by a company called MZ Electronics and has no instructions. What do I need to make this work with my windlass? Does anyone have this type of system?

Have I bought something I can use or shall I stick back on Sailroom/Ebay?

ST60 Tridata I also bought is great mind.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I had something similar on a previous boat manufactured by Quick and to be hoest it was'nt all that good. It would sometimes stop counting and you had to remember to zero it before letting the chain out. I never really trusted it and painted marks on the chain as a check in the end
My installation had a little bracket between the windlass and the bow roller with a plastic stalk sticking out which moved as the chain links came into contact with it and thus counted the length of chain deployed, supposedly
Worth fitting though if you got it for little money and can make it work consistently

thefatlady

Visit site
Maybe you can get some help from the manfacturer here

I had a Quick chain counter. The sensor was a Hall-effect sensor mounted through the windlass base plate and a magnet mounted in the gypsy.

When it worked, it was excellent, but the sensor failed from time to time and had to be replaced. If yours is like this, suitable sensors are available from RS Components and it is easy to drill the base plate and gypsy and bond the parts in.

thefatlady

Visit site
Revolutionary optical chain counter

Painting the chain is only an option if the chain is visible from the cockpit. For example, many Sealines have the chain buried in the bow.

As an alternative, try a revolutionary (no pun intended) new optical chain counter.

Take a black permanent marker and paint a single radial line on top of the capstan. Count revolutions. On all the ones I've had, 1 revolution = 0.33 metre. Divide revolutions by 3 to get length.

From today's news, if you are lucky and have a child aged over 8, they may soon be able to do it for you, giving you a speaking chain counter. Wow!

DERF

Visit site
Jez,

I have same and was a factory fit by Fairline. There should be a sensor(pencil type) that measures chain count at the capstan.

You will need to set the system to "read" your chain diameter at the gypsy.

I have recently replaced the original 2003 for a new head unit 2006, but find it excellent. Always seems to work and is as accurate as the coloured stoppers in the chain.

If you want a copy of the set up instructions let me know and next time I'm on boat I'll get a copy for you.

If you are going to get rid of it, let me know I'll buy it as a spare!

Actually loking at the picture more closely it looks like the sensor in there... Black pencil shaped item.

devilsadvocate

Visit site
Hello Mr Banks, I have had a chat with Dave (Trevera 25) earlier tonight, and I am confident that if you have items missing from the package they will be provided if they are available, so should you need anything please let him know.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Thanks for your post,

I don't have a problem with what was sent, and it is as described. Just need to know how to use/install it. That's all.

If you happen to have an instruction manual lurking it would be great, other wise I am sure (as they have) the forum will provide answers.

Don't worry, happy customer!