What am I missing?

Boathook

Visit site
I had one like that years ago and there are 2 options. Either a circlip type ring holding it in place or you need to flex the plastic housing and drop the light out. Not the easiest of jobs whilst up the mast. I replaced mine as it was damaged and I also wanted to add a steaming light.

RupertW

Visit site
Sealed beam implies you don’t and have to replace the whole thing. Hopefully not bit well worth checking connections and voltage as it might not be the bulb.

Sea-Fever

Visit site
There is a plastic circlip which comes out but the lamp is still firmly held in place.

Unfortunately previous owner was not helpful when it came to wiring. Birds nest bit of an understatement.

penfold

Visit site
I've not encountered one of those, but similar deck lamps require you to employ herculean strength to squeeze the housing which 'pops' the article out, hopefully to be retained by the electric string.

Sea-Fever

Visit site
As you can see from the photo it’s riveted on. I don’t want to drill it out. I assume, but don’t know because it’s never worked, that it is a halogen bulb. I would be content keeping the housing and replacing the lamp unit with LED as per the link above. If only I could get the b***ard thing out. Maybe low ambient temp is not the time to do it but it will be awkward to get a kettle up there to soften it up. ?

Sea-Fever

Visit site
Also because it’s never worked and the switch panel lacks any labels, as does the wiring behind, it is very difficult to diagnose the fault without getting the lamp unit out. Today I did locate the steaming light circuit which was dangling in free air. Reconnected and lamp swapped with an LED job works nicely! Just need to sort the deck flood.

Sea-Fever

Visit site
I've not encountered one of those, but similar deck lamps require you to employ herculean strength to squeeze the housing which 'pops' the article out, hopefully to be retained by the electric string.

I think you may be right. My kettle idea is sound less daft.