What a lovely day

MoodySabre

Visit site
Caught the train to Thorpe-le-Soken with my mate Paul. Met there by Helen and James - thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Deposited at Titchmarsh to collect Sabre. Turned out we were in the berth next to emnick of this parish - nice to meet you Sean, look forward to seeing you at the Mob do.

Motored up the channel, waved at Pyro and famille who were paddling on the beach. Sailed out to Pye End. Who nicked the wind /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Cruising chute up - wow 1.5 knots /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Motored for a bit then nice wind - gentle sail at 4 knots to the Colne. Dropped James off in Brightlingsea - a full .5 metre going
in - never mind it's a rising tide /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

More gentle sailing back to Bradwell - left a Moody 34 for dead - it wasn't a race you understand /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Perfect into the berth.

Just a lovely day /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
Sounds like you had a good time Roger, excellent /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Not a bad day here, finally managed to repair the spreader and that means the mast is almost ready to go back up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Took the dog for a nice walk, three miles long /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif he wasn't expecting that /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif along the river for a survey of current conditions /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Thought you were going to be doing that on Saturday? I was out with the Sea Scouts on Sat, good F4 with some stronger gusts (as we found out once the kite was up /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) ). Nice to sail with crew for a change.

Took the Scout rescue boat too and succeeded in totally soaking all the kids - they loved it. Just waiting for the piccys of Flipper sailing to be e-mailed to me.

ianc1200

Visit site
Brilliant weekends ourselves; first night way from marina & first night for wife to sleep aboard. Got on the mud at LW above the entry to Brightlingsea, went in for the evening, fish curry at the South Indian place on the quayside, then remarkably met some old friends on the pontoon we hadn't seen for 10 years or so, much wine etc. Idylic anchor in the Pyefleet for most of the day, & back to Bradwell about 30 mins before Sabre got in.

Wonderfull!

IanC

jh2005

Visit site
Thanks Roger, it was indeed a lovely day, and it was a pleasure to crew for you aboard Sabre.
Helen & I are planning to go for an evening sail today so we can test the autopilot repair on Chellers.

James

emnick

Visit site
Great to have met you all. Glad you had a good sail back.

Looking forward to the MOB w/e if I can help in any way just let me know.

Regards
Sean

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
Glad you made it. I got to Titchmarsh on Thursday and got out onto a mooring to save money. On Friday night I figured that the wind drops in the evening so maybe a night sail would be the way, so rang a mate to come and lend a second pair of eyes for Saturday night. However, we sailed on Saturday lunch. Good breeze but Hilsa hated that short chop of Clacton. Then we had to motor into the wind all the way in from the Spitway (Hilsa doesn't really do beating)

At Buxley No 1 a pigeon landed on the boom and stayed there, despite choppy sea and then the sail being lowered. He was still there, roosted down, when we anchored in Cliff Reach at dusk. He was gone in the morning, though, and left his calling card all over the cockpit. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I must get a boat that goes to windward.

There was a Mirage beating in that looked good and there's one for sale in Burnham...............

MoodySabre

Visit site
I had a Snapdragon previously and they were similar to the Macwester. Built like a tank but those short straight keels are good for drying out on but useless for beating. The Mirage was also made by Thames Marine but has decent splayed keels and I hear that they sail quite well. Buying my boat (a fin keeler) was a revelation - it flies to windward. Not quite so good when you run out of water though /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Marmalade

Visit site
We had a broad reach all the way from Thurrock YC to the spitway - and we then motored in - couldn't be ar**d to tack all the way into the Blackwater - the boat's up to it but we were tired!

Toad (frequently on PBO forum) used to sail a mirage and can probably give you more info - pm him if he doesn't see this and chip in.