What’s Happened to Burnham Week?

DownWest

Visit site
Thread revival

I’m not much of a racer but have been involved in some classic yacht events.

Burnham must have been brilliant in the past with the waterfront bustling, race boats on the trots, crews filling clubs and pubs, bands playing. Kim Holman designing a killer boat on a beer mat, all that groovy 60s vibe, Rothmans King Size, sunbeam Alpines in the car park, Twiggy in the colour supplement…

I was there recently and it has changed yes. Everything else has changed too. It’s a long time ago.

But I think there is a Stella fleet on the Orwell and at least some well resourced owners. Maybe it’s time for the east coast to get in on the nostalgia for 20th century glamour. A bit like the Goodwood Festival of Speed…. Especially the speed
Good point about it being a long time ago, but I doubt that you can equate it with Goodwood. The other comment about the size of boats going up and making tacking a pain in the river, plus the mud... We raced a shallow fin/bulb, with a c/plate, handy to get the longest tacks, judging the point when the plate gave a 'soft' warning, no depth sounder then.
We moored up at Creeksea and in those days, Burnham was a quiet (ish) quaint coastal small town. I was too young to be in the pubs.. Maybe a ginger beer on the bench outside.

I did have an Alpine, but that was much later...

SW

PeterWright

Visit site
Thread revival

I’m not much of a racer but have been involved in some classic yacht events.

Burnham must have been brilliant in the past with the waterfront bustling, race boats on the trots, crews filling clubs and pubs, bands playing. Kim Holman designing a killer boat on a beer mat, all that groovy 60s vibe, Rothmans King Size, sunbeam Alpines in the car park, Twiggy in the colour supplement…

I was there recently and it has changed yes. Everything else has changed too. It’s a long time ago.

But I think there is a Stella fleet on the Orwell and at least some well resourced owners. Maybe it’s time for the east coast to get in on the nostalgia for 20th century glamour. A bit like the Goodwood Festival of Speed…. Especially the speed

Hi gdallas,

You're right in saying the Orwell is becomjng something of a centre for the Stellas these days, more specifically several are based in Suffolk Yacht Harbour. Perhaps part of the attraction is the SYH Classic Regatta which has been running for over 20 years now and includes a class for Stellas:

https://www.syhclassicregatta.co.uk/

It doesn't quite match the scale of Goodwood revival, but does capture a little of the flavour with the classic motor boats also involved and a few turning up in classic cars dressed in the style of the sixties. A great weekend for anyone who enjoys the odd bit of nostalgia.

Peter.