Western Med; Late September to Mid October?

Laser310

Visit site
I have a charter lined up for three to four weeks; from about September 21 to about October 15, or a few days more if needed.

The boat is near Marseilles, and I hope to cruise a along the coast to Porquerolles, across to Corsica, then to Menorca, then over to the Spanish coast, and then back to Marseilles.

It's about 800 miles, but the boat is a reasonably fast 40fter, and most of the mileage would be covered in three two to three day passages. Still, the schedule might be a bit aggressive, and I'd be fine with making it shorter if needed.

My main question is the weather; I don't mind being stuck in port for a few bad days, but October is a bit late in the season, and I am just worried that it could be bad enough that it just won't be fun.

Of course, anything is possible.., but I'd appreciate hearing about the experience of others in these waters from late September to mid October.

RobbieW

Visit site
Your plans put you at risk of both Mistral and whatever the Pyrenean equivalent is, strong winds out of the Golfe de Lyon. I don't know the incidence at that time of year. Don't remember any dramas except southern Mallorca can get severe weather in mid late Sept, mostly thunderstorm derived.

Depends what you want from the trip, an alternative would be to circumnavigate Corsica and Sardinia.

Sea Change

Visit site
We spent one summer in the Balearics and mainland Spain. Late season saw a significant number of thunderstorms, including one where we saw 50kt gusts and many boats dragged. So beware of that.

I'll also say, don't set your heart on reaching any particular destination unless you're prepared to do it under motor.