Westerly Konsort Main Sheet?

Wardy

Visit site
That y sheet has tried to decapitate me one time too many! It's got to go!

I have an idea to fix a new, short, traveller, onto the hatch roof. Set up the pulley system onto a new eye on the boom then run the sheet back into the pit through a couple of pulleys and into a locking clamp of some description. The traveller lines can be sent back in a similar way (not sure how they are described!)

There isn't a lot of room for this system but i think there is just enough... but...

What effect will it have on the sailability of the yacht?
Is this a good idea or not?
Will it alter the effect of the kicking strap (?) and the \Topping lift?

I know of a vessel that has moved the sheet / traveller across the pit combings, effectivelly placing it directly in front of the companionway hatch, but I'd like to avoid this situation if I can... we live aboard so everything needs to be functional and tidy.

Any h4elp will be gratefully recieved. I'll check back in a few days

TIA

Steve

claymore

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know of a vessel that has moved the sheet / traveller across the pit combings, effectivelly placing it directly in front of the companionway hatch, but I'd like to avoid this situation if I can... we live aboard so everything needs to be functional and tidy.

[/ QUOTE ]
This would be the better option in terms of sail shape and control. You can always slide the blocks to one extremity of the track so that the companionway stays clear.
I sailed on a Konsort which had a transom main system which worked ok - at least it was out of the way there.
I think if you start trying to fix something up around the hatch roof you'll run into difficulties with your pram hood won't you?

capt_courageous

Visit site
I moved ours to the cockpit combing as you desribed. It is a lot better than it was on the transom. Not so much rope flailing about. It is not a problem for access - when not sailing just pull it to one side of the track.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Have you considered joining the Westerly Owners website?

www.westerly-owners.co.uk
Aslo, when you are in the WOA site, sign up for the newsgroup at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Westerly-Owners/

A friend who had a Fulmar did exactly as you are going to do - only, he left the track on the stern. As soon as the boat was sold, the new owners ripped out his cockpit track and went back to the stern track. They didn't like getting their shins cut with his modification.

Just a thought.