westerly GK24

Ceirwan

Visit site
Hi, yes a good choice.

My father did his Yachtmaster Ocean qualifying passage onboard one, 5 days at sea, they have a reputation for being tough seaworthy little boats.

AFAIK they came with a masthead and a fractional rig, might want to look at which is stronger, although single handed I would value less head sail changes and the bigger main of the fractional rig.

helixkimara

Visit site
GK 24

Thanks for the comments, like the flush deck and they are aparently well made. I thought they may be a little light, but when I look at MingMing and some others it depends how it is prepared. The free board looks a bit high but I could help that with my 17 stone.
Regards

Visit site
GK24 as Ocean racer

I had one of these excellent machines a few years ago so if I may, I would like to offer a few pointers. I had a problem with the stringers reinforcing the keel area and had to spend considerable time, not to mention money to beef this area up. I would be looking very carefully at this area especially if yours is the deep keel version as mine was. The surveyor said not to worry too much as this only happens in 'Hard raced' boats!!
Apart from this it was a good boat that taught me a great deal about sailing. I managed to sail it backwards, steer using only the sails and learned quickly that reefing early and sailing more upright was faster than getting ones ears wet. I gained an unofficial club record sailing single-handed, the 46NMs from Hartlepool to Scarborough in 6hrs 11 mins which I think still stands!
Four things spring to mind with your intended use. She is quite directionally sensitive and so MAY prove difficult to steer using wind-vane systems (suggest the Hydrovane may be best with its separate rudder). The GK24 is a very slippery boat so you will need to make good provision for slowing her up such as drogues or parachutes when the going gets bad. Some form of spray deflection would be required for the hatch. Whether you go to a hardtop like I had on Golden Dragon or a sprayhood is of course a personal choice but sitting out there for an afternoons race is a very different proposition to a couple of weeks out on the ocean. Finally down below, it is a long way from side to side so you will need safety ropes or suchlike to prevent injury in rough seas.
I'm trying to offer constructive help here so go for it and good luck. If I got the chance to go again, I certainly would not cross the GK off my list of potential boats.
Cheers
Graham

helixkimara

Visit site
GK24

Thanks Fascadale and Graham.
Very informative, especially about the stringer to keel thing. having sailed Helix (twister)to the Azores JAC08 I know this is a MUCH different kettle of fish. Heavy weather would need serious consideration (as if it never was!). It looks as if it could be a candidate to be "Rogered" as in "unsinkable ize" it. I'll not make the JC 2010. (Which is breaking my heart, being the 50th anniversary and almost 100 entrants)
Thanks again
malcome