westerly Centaur

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Lazy Kipper,

I'm a pro photographer myself, inc 14 yrs as technical and PR photographer for BAe on the Harrier and Hawk development & sales programmes.

I wasn't having a pop, I just remember Snooks saying why they don't take reefed shots if they can help it. Personally I think it's a great photo, poor boat management I agree but a terrific shot, which I reckon at the end of the day is the most important criteria for a cover shot.

Visit site
With over 2400 built, I think the Centaur clearly is the perfect boat of its size bracket. I read, with interest, the piece in Yachting Monthly this month. The featured boat really looks lovely, and is sailing very well.

I have seen a lot of them around the country, clearly a testament to its build quality and continuing popularity - perfect boat or just a jack of all trades??

Fashionable icon,a bit like MacDonald hamburgers.:eek:

Last edited:

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
Fashionable icon,a bit like MacDonald hamburgers.:eek:

I shall put myself up to be shot by the masses.

Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder as I do not think they are attractive boats. Particular that rudder which just doesn't look right to me.

Yes I know they are popular etc. but so is Eastenders and I would rather eat wasps than watch that.

Visit site
I shall put myself up to be shot by the masses.

Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder as I do not think they are attractive boats. Particular that rudder which just doesn't look right to me.

Yes I know they are popular etc. but so is Eastenders and I would rather eat wasps than watch that.

That's funny but the rudder is about the only thing I don't have an issue with.SHHHHH :D

Visit site
I'm a big fan of the boat despite the fact that very few have found their way to this side of the Atlantic. Be sure to turn up the sound when viewing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drvkYvg51h0

Methink he is using mechanical propulsion. Our venerable Centaur sails very nicely but never seems to go that fast. With two reefs in the main in what does not appear to be overly rough conditions he seems to be going at some pelt.

Seajet

Visit site
Methink he is using mechanical propulsion. Our venerable Centaur sails very nicely but never seems to go that fast. With two reefs in the main in what does not appear to be overly rough conditions he seems to be going at some pelt.

Have to admit I thought the same; but bearing in mind the thread context and backing music I decided upon discretion ! :)

Iain C

Visit site
OK I'm biased but I always think that the Sabre is prettier and faster than a Centaur...although I know the Centaur has a massive fan base and is a great family cruiser.

I think the green boat looks superb...obviously very well cared for. There are so many 70s cruisers out there with the same dreary dull white gelcoat and horrible pale blue decks it's nice to see something different. Get her a bigger, non faded ensign and she'd look even better!

Bilgediver

Visit site
My Dad had Centaur 2187; it's a very competent and seaworthy boat, and if a design could be arrived at which had the attributes of a Centaur and the looks of a Contessa 32, no-one would ever need anything else !

The one big criticism we had of the boat was the very neutral tiller, absolutely no feedback on the helm, she just goes where pointed.

This was very upsetting after being used to a very responsive boat - possibly the Andersons' best feature is the feel on the helm - and we tried all sorts of tweaks on the Centaurs' rudder to get some 'feel', extension plates fore and then aft, vortex generators, you name it, in the end Dad gave up and put up with it but he didn't enjoy that aspect.

Probably the ideal boat to use an autopilot most of the time.

I found the feel of the helm could be changed by moving the mast to different positions on the step. Moving to the next hole made a big differenc on our Chieftain towards removing excessive weather helm

jellylegs

Visit site
OK I'm biased but I always think that the Sabre is prettier and faster than a Centaur...although I know the Centaur has a massive fan base and is a great family cruiser.

I think the green boat looks superb...obviously very well cared for. There are so many 70s cruisers out there with the same dreary dull white gelcoat and horrible pale blue decks it's nice to see something different. Get her a bigger, non faded ensign and she'd look even better!

Thanks, the faded ensign gives the illusion that I have traveled far - truth is, I go nowhere!

Normanby

Visit site
Do Centaurs have enough headroom for the over six footers?

I've lusted after a Centaur for ages, from afar (I'm in Australia).

I'm 6'1" barefoot, can i stand up to my full height in a Centaur's cabin?

Also, could i stretch out on one of the berths (like with toes outstretched and pillow width, a luxurious berth for me would be nearly 7' long, like my bed at home)?

I've trawled the internet for an answer to this question, and all i can ever come up with is that they have "ample" headroom. For whom, Ronnie Corbett or Jeremy Clarkson?

If not, what's the smallest English bilge keeler that has headroom of 6'2" or better?

My semi-retirement plan involves coming to the UK, buying a boat, and pottering about, in about 18 months (once i've rid myself of the teenager infestation in my house).

pvb

Visit site
Do Centaurs have enough headroom for the over six footers?

I've lusted after a Centaur for ages, from afar (I'm in Australia).

I'm 6'1" barefoot, can i stand up to my full height in a Centaur's cabin?

Also, could i stretch out on one of the berths (like with toes outstretched and pillow width, a luxurious berth for me would be nearly 7' long, like my bed at home)?

Welcome to the forums! It's a long time since I owned my Centaur, but I seem to think that headroom was no more than 6ft, so I don't think you'd be able to stand up in one. However, the berths should be long enough for you.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
We encountered one on the south coast of Puerto Rico, heading for the Pacific, having already done a transatlantic both ways. Certainly gained my respect!
It was sailed by a Filipino father and son team - headroom wasn't an issue for them :)

Seajet

Visit site
Welcome to the forums! It's a long time since I owned my Centaur, but I seem to think that headroom was no more than 6ft, so I don't think you'd be able to stand up in one. However, the berths should be long enough for you.

I agree with PVB, my Dad had a late Centaur and a friend has just bought one.

I don't think you'll be able to stand up completely straight, but the bunks should be long enough.

For standing room, how about a sprayhood and standing in the main hatch, ' the sky's the limit' !

It would be hard to find another design as roomy and competent as the Centaur; three points, the helm is unrewarding with no feedback, so she's a boat suited to an autopilot while one keeps a lookout from under the sprayhood.

Also try to get a late model, build number 2000+, much better hatches and windows than the earlier boats.

Most boats will need a new engine by now; a friend got a late Centaur with a brand new Nanni diesel for just under £6,000, but I think he was remarkably lucky !

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
I walk past one a few berths down the pontoon from Katie L at Brough

I think that they are wonderful boats - astonishingly seaworthy - great support from the owners club - everything can be repaired - amazingly roomy - not too big - not too small - cockpit is great - lovely working area on the foredeck

people will knock them about their lack of good looks, feel on the helm, lack of speed but I think they have the sort of rugged completeness you get from gazing at a mark 2 landy

besides it is the view from the cockpit that counts

I would certainly have bought one - but I have a serious case of cash flow induced inboard-o-phobia

come to the UK and sail around our amazing 20,000 mile long coastline - the Centaur will be perfect