Westerly 35 to 40 ft

G

We are a consortium of three ( three men in a boat)and we have been looking for a 35 to 40 ft Westerly to purchase. whilst speaking to our neighbouring boat owner in the boat yard last week this subject was mentioned. He commented that, in his experience,they have a tendency to slam when going to windward, which has set us back a little. Can anyone confirm or comment otherwise. We would be thinking of a fin keel, not a bilge, Thanks.

G

I think you will find that any "modern" boat with flat sections will slam in certain wave conditions but not necessarily just going to windward. Normal sailing to windward in calm or even moderate seas should be no problem.

If you are really worried change your choice and go for one of the wine glass shaped boats, the Rivals, Rustlers, etc.

G

Less of a tendency to slam than many more lightly built marques.

Perhaps his comparison is with a narrower / heavier / long keeler (which may possibly not be as close winded anyway) rather than a roomy and fast fin.

I can get my Fulmar to slam, but it's more like 1 wave in 10 rather than 5 / 10 for a Jeaneteau - type.

Go for it you should not be disappointed with the sailing qualities.

G

Roger

I have owned a westerly Conway for 4 years now, they are great sailing boats. I sail short handed with my wife and find her to have very few vices. As for slaming, she seems to take the waves well to windward and we havent experienced any real slaming, if the waves are short and steep enough any boat will slam. The Conway was made in both fin and bilge, I have a 6 foot keel, LOA 36 ft Brilliant heavy displacement blue water boat. Hope that helps Dave

G

Thanks Andy, Dave and Hugh we will keep looking for our bargain boat. The Westerly is still top of the list except for the un-affordable HR's, Najad's etc

G

As Hugh said above most modern designs have a tendency to slam. I don't think it's got anything to do with the displacement of the boat but more to do with the shape of the hull and how quickly and how often the forward sections leave the water. I sail a Jeanneau and contrary to what our xenophobic friend says above they don't necessarily slam every other wave. If it happens that often, it says more about the helmsman than about the hull design. For my part keeping her an extra five degrees off the wind and sailing her upright cures most of the slamming. Of all the boats I've test sailed recently, the one that slams the least is the Starlight 35.