westebeke engines

paulsmith

Visit site
Im thinking of buying a Westerly Griffon, its engine has been replaced 2 years ago with a westebeke 20hp. As I'm new to inboard engines the idea of a nearly new engine is attractive, but I've never heard of this make. are parts available, who supplies them etc does anyone have any comments on the matter before I proceed further

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oldhand

Visit site
Westerbeke engines are American and in this country are better known for their generators. I believe Watermota, in Newton Abbot, South Devon are the Westerbeke importers, see: http://www.watermota.ltd.uk/index.html.

I think there will be a slight problem in that most marine engineers are unlikely to stock parts and you would have to wait a few days while they are ordered from Watermota. I see you are from Devon, which should make it easy to get support for the Westerbeke. Just make sure you carry appropriate spares onboard when you venture away from home.
<hr width=100% size=1>

Rauby

Visit site
As noted by the other respondent these engines are usually supplied as part of generator sets. Parts tend to be available from unusual places as a result - for example manufacturers of larger yachts often supply parts for their clients - so you may be able to persuade Nautor's Swan, Oyster etc that you are a customer, get on their data base and they will arrange parts for you anywhere.

Also, if stuck, any largish boat around you may well have a westerbeke engine and spare for it.

I have worked a lot with westerbeke engines and they are generally very reliable - the only part that requires regular maintenance is the annode in the heat exchanger (the manual will provide information on this). In regular use you can expect to change these every month (admittedly on engines used in generator sets), subject to the installation. Make sure that you carry spares and that you check it regularly until you have worked out how often it needs changing.

I hope that you get on well with the engine.

<hr width=100% size=1>