West Wight Potter 15

graham

Visit site
our first sail today.

In our new (to us) 13 FT 4 inch Voyager 14

008.jpg

014-3.jpg

Headroom inside was a bit of an issue for my crewmate but ok for a shorty like me. :)
If over about 5 ft 9 sitting would be uncomfortable but lengthwise the 2 berths are well over 6 ft and quite wide.
Only light airs but she seemed to sail very well.

Last edited:

Mark-1

Visit site
Holy thread revival Batman...

Which of the excellent vessels listed in this thread have self draining cockpits? (I have no plans to buy one, just interested.)

Wansworth

Visit site
I've recently sold and I'm having a complete rethink about which boat would now best suit my needs. One thing I've realised is that buying a boat is one thing (I've had two in the past), but the exposure to ongoing known and unknown expenses and time commitments of owning and keeping a 30 footer was becoming too stressful. So I'm going right back to basics (I think). I'm looking for a small, capable, sea-worthy sailing boat with a cuddy or small cabin to get out of the weather at an anchorage. Easy to single hand, but room for one or both kids to come along. Pottering around the Solent/Itchen/Hamble/Beaulieu/Langstone/Chichester. Marina or swinging mooring during the summer, home in a double garage for winter. So... I'm thinking of a West Wight Potter 15.

Any thoughts/experiences on this boat? Any other similar models I could consider? Would a 2.5Hp outboard be enough for a 15 footer (with about 400 KG all up) in the Solent - seems 'light' on power to me? I want to buy a boat that's new or maybe a year or two old. Any views would be much appreciated.
Having sold my 27 footer I am looking at small sailing as well.....in my youth I spent 6months cruising and working in the West Country in a 15 footer which had a cabin and seaworthy hull,with older age now I reckon say a 20 footer would serve,say a westerly nomad ,major feature being comfortable berths,room for a cooker and sitting headroom for the w.c......probably bilge keels to save on moorings etc............at least I am consistent!

dancrane

Visit site

DownWest

Visit site
WWPs are popular over in the States. Dylan put up a vid of a Bolger Micro with junk rig a while back. Think it was on the Blackwater. 15ft 4 in, so quite acceptable for this thread. Room for two and a potty under the bridge deck. Self righting from over 90° with no water ingress. Room for 4/6 for daysailing.

wombat88

Visit site
We had a Winkle Brig for some years, lovely thing and a real tardis inside. I found that although she was normally fine bustling along a reasonable sea appeared stop her dead at each wav eand it could take a long time to get anywhere . I wonder if this is the same for most small boats?

dancrane

Visit site
I think that reputation for lack of drive or 'way' is what discouraged me from bidding on a cheap Swift 18, early last year.

In retrospect I rather regret not acquiring the boat. In weather when short steep chop is likely to make progress difficult, I'd have taken significant care not to be at sea at all.

Meanwhile, I'm finding the appeal of a yacht that is small enough to haul out without much fuss, increasingly persuasive.

Stemar

Visit site
Being of an age and state of health where hauling out anything much bigger than a bath duck is not going to be achieved without much fuss, I'm very happy with my Snapdragon 24. If I need to do something on the bottom, I can dry out on the club grid. Hauling out for the winter is done by a club syndicate that hires a crane. Admittedly, she's a motor sailor rather than a yacht, but with a good big engine, I'm not bothered if the wind's in the wrong direction and, when it's on or aft of the beam, she can surprise much bigger boats. A separate heads with wash basin and a decent galley make life easier for the distaff side, too.

Wansworth

Visit site
Being of an age and state of health where hauling out anything much bigger than a bath duck is not going to be achieved without much fuss, I'm very happy with my Snapdragon 24. If I need to do something on the bottom, I can dry out on the club grid. Hauling out for the winter is done by a club syndicate that hires a crane. Admittedly, she's a motor sailor rather than a yacht, but with a good big engine, I'm not bothered if the wind's in the wrong direction and, when it's on or aft of the beam, she can surprise much bigger boats. A separate heads with wash basin and a decent galley make life easier for the distaff side, too.
I looked at a snappy in La Coruna a few years back,lotsof room despite a good size loo,unfortunatly they wanted 10,000 euros

Stemar

Visit site
I'd want something pretty special in the way of a Snappy for 10,000 euros :rolleyes: I paid half that back when old boats were still worth something.

OK, I'm biased, but I still think they make a great little cruiser for someone on a low budget