West Marine - not always the best port of call!

G

My 2001 West Marine catalogue arrived the other day and as I'm about to go off to the US I thought I'd check out the price of a Garmin 128 GPS. I looked up the price $299.99 about £215. I also recieved in the same week two other catalogues, both from the UK, so I thought I'd do a comparison. The first was Mailspeed Marine's 2001 catalogue. Here the Garmin 128 was £199.99. Next I checked out the new Compass catalogue, from them the Garmin 128 is £179.95. This to be honest surprised me as I thought "buy from the US and it will be cheaper. I then investigated a little further. last year I bought a little Garmin eTrex (great bit of kit for its size) from Westmarine so I compared prices again. West Marine Price - $119.99 about £85. Mailspeed Marine - £119.99 and from Compass it is £104.95. So the trick is to really shop around and have several catalogues to hand it can save £'s. If any one is thinking of buying a Garmin 230 GPS don't even think about West Marine, they are about £100 more expensive than Mailspeed - $849.99 (£615) compared to £499.00. As far as I can see in these cases we are not in "rip of Britain!

G

Try GPS City in Henderson near Las Vegas. They're good. You can find them listed under dealers in Nevada on Garmin's site.

I visited them last month to buy accessories, which were good value.