West india to Richmond (Again)

oldgit

Visit site
It now appears that we will not be able to lock out from West India until 8am on 25th April and assuming as it is a big lock at least half an hour to get clear,so 8.30 into river at best.
As HW at Richmond is 8.49BST and presume gates will be lowered at 10.49.it will be skin of teeth chances to get there especially as bank hols and and most of the rowing world will be out.So where does one moor(in some sort of comfort) on the way up to await the evening tide ?

Last edited:

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Putney has a pontoon that you are or at least where allowed to use for a bit . Just after the bridge .
I used to go through the lock at low tide and go into London and catch the high tide back so there is still water and a lock to use depending on how big your bottom is :p
There is also something mid river just before kew bridge that i have always wondered about . Is that a landing stage ?

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
We need 3ft to float.Thought that the area below the lock "dried out" completely especially as the tides are quite big around this time ?
Seem to remember on our last trip we had to wait in Richmond lock until there was sufficient water to let us back down into the tidal bit.
Just had a look a Chiswick,that may be the answer

Last edited:

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Everything ive seen from the road dries out apart from the one just after putney bridge ( could be the wrong bridge , the one that leads to the new kings road ) And that one in the middle of the river not connected to the bank . What is that thing ?

oldgit

Visit site
Might be simpler for me to ring Richmond and ask for the latest arrival time to get into lock and then use Chiswick as plan "B"
Yippee weather is looking good.

Chris_d

Visit site
Can recommend Chiswick Pier as a stopover makes the tideway much less stressful on timing in either direction, you can also pre-book and they are very friendly there. There is an expensive Italian next to the pier or the "Fat boy" traditional english breakfast nearby which turns into a Thai restaurant in the evening, you can also walk into Chiswick for a good choice of eateries.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Here's a sideways thought; especially if you're watching the bawbies (or Chiswick says No).

Brentford (BW) is said to have a waiting pontoon before the lock to the Nether World. Meant for unmentionables who don't understand tides to wait until the lock staff get up ( :D :D ).

I assume there's no charge and there's unlikely to be a queue as NBs are quite sensible.
Might be worth ringing what ever London BW office is left to check the veracity of my supposition.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
yeah but...

Here's a sideways thought; especially if you're watching the bawbies (or Chiswick says No).

Brentford (BW) is said to have a waiting pontoon before the lock to the Nether World. Meant for unmentionables who don't understand tides to wait until the lock staff get up ( :D :D ).

I assume there's no charge and there's unlikely to be a queue as NBs are quite sensible.
Might be worth ringing what ever London BW office is left to check the veracity of my supposition.

On a failing tide there is less than no water up there?

TrueBlue

Visit site
On a failing tide there is less than no water up there?

Dunno, that's why I put the caveat.
OK NBs can sit on the bottom, but they do get some other craft, and I think there's a sort of marina on the eastern side of the cut (No, not the old basin on the West which is locked).

I thought the channel was deepish, but there is a sand bar in the stream.

So OG might be doing everyone a favour if he rings BW and gets an unexpurgated picture.

How's about it, Fred??

Gumpy

Visit site

Its not BW but Brentford Marina its out on the main river, just upstream of Brentford gut outside the marina

alruss

Visit site
stopover

Hi Oldgit, your speed up to Wandsworth bridge can be quite high, just watch wash with moored boats and 12knots in pool of London. Wandsworth bridge to Richmond less than 1hr, you could make it, if not. you only just miss it so use lock @£5.00, there is still plenty of water that close to HW. If you want to enjoy the trip up river you could stop at HYC and wait for next tide.
This should be easy to arrange for a member of Rochester C. C., because we are always welcomed with open arms when we visit them. PM me if you want me to arrange it.

oldgit

Visit site
This should be easy to arrange for a member of Rochester C. C., because we are always welcomed with open arms when we visit them. PM me if you want me to arrange it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer,but we are going to try and get to Richmond and use Chiswick as a possible holding point.Fred.

teddington_lock

Visit site
You don't need to be through Richmond at HW. 2 hrs after HW , they will put the sluices in , there will still be plenty of water ( but you will still have to lock through ) , even 3 or 3.5 hrs after HW Tedders , you should still be fine.

See you soon , we will be waiting with open arms ;)

oldgit

Visit site
See you soon , we will be waiting with open arms

Thank you.Do you "do" a 1 week registration or has it got to be either a day or a month ?

Up on Easter Monday, suspect it will be busy ??? ,so hopefully B1 can find his way down in his olde Hardy and grab a space, we will probably raft alongside and scuff his new fenders

Last edited:

storm-force

Visit site
Might be simpler for me to ring Richmond and ask for the latest arrival time to get into lock and then use Chiswick as plan "B"
Yippee weather is looking good.

Some of our friends used the new Marina at Chelsea for a stop over on the way down to St Kats last week & had a good experience

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
You made it then..

spotted at 1206 (I think / time wise) approaching the lock..

Cant go anywhere nowadays...

On a different note had a highly entertaining moment closing the Petersham Road to let a duck and its 6 chicks cross back to the riverside.... very cute..