West Coast Scotland

Daydream believer

Visit site
Its not too dear either on an annual contract. However its too out the way (for me) travelling from the South.
Steveeasy
Yes, I can imagine public transport from Oban might be awkward, if one is going there first. But by car from the south, then I would not see the problem. But as the thread is for the OP moving to an undefined area, then Craobh & the surrounding area is scenic. Plus is not far for one to travel to Oban for weekly supplies & other services if living in between the two.
As a sailing spot it is very good & N Ireland is only a day sail away. The Cally canal likewise. So one can still go North, South, or even East if one wants, in spite of it being a bit south of the OP's original thoughts.

steveeasy

Visit site
Im am on a mooring at Ardoran. Good price and a pontoon to tie up on. yard has a lift and hardstanding for the winter.
Yes, I can imagine public transport from Oban might be awkward, if one is going there first. But by car from the south, then I would not see the problem. But as the thread is for the OP moving to an undefined area, then Craobh & the surrounding area is scenic. Plus is not far for one to travel to Oban for weekly supplies & other services if living in between the two.
As a sailing spot it is very good & N Ireland is only a day sail away. The Cally canal likewise. So one can still go North, South, or even East if one wants, in spite of it being a bit south of the OP's original thoughts.
Yep for the OP its perfect in every way and as I said its not too dear either. Might even be a good sailing community too.

Steveeasy

dslittle

Visit site
We’re looking at moving to west Scotland.

Yesterday, specifically looking at Arran, yes I know fairly well south, possibly Oban (Lismore) as an alternative.

You have said Arran and Lismore - if that includes all in between, you could do worse than have a look at Fairlie, just South of Largs. I’m not sure if they still have any moorings available to buy per se, but I’m pretty sure that they have space to lay one if you join the Association.

It’s generally sheltered over the summer and there is storage ashore during the winter at Fairlie Quay. Close enough to Largs Marina and then town with a train station about a mile either side. You’d be close to the mainland but with the islands and Clyde very sailable.

Worth a thought

Visit site
In terms of finding a mooring there are a number of mooring associations around, most will be members of West Highland Anchorages and Moorings Association or The Clyde Yacht Clubs Association : About Us

I notice in your OP you say "Lismore or Arran". I don't want to dismiss your suggestion - both are very lovely places but they are rather different. Lismore is small, you could quickly start to know a lot of the population. Arran is too big to know everyone. Lismore is a long way from civilisation. Obviously, the ferry to Oban is not that long but if you need to get to a big city Glasgow is a long way. Oban itself is not exactly the cultural epicentre of Scotland if you need that sort of thing, and the hospital is small if you are heading to that age where such things become considerations etc. Arran's ferry service has its own problems, and if too close to the ferry you will be very aware of day trippers from Glasgow in the Summer but the flip side is that its much closer to facilities if you need them, but actually the Island itself is a little more self-sufficient than Lismore so you'll be able to get a lot of services without having to get on a ferry.

I think sometimes people get caught up in the romanticism of living on an island. The ferries stop at night (last ferry to Arran on a Sunday is about 6pm) so you have to plan mainland trips around that. Every package/delivery will cost you more and take longer. Winter on an island can be very long - if you are coming from Cornwall the difference in daylight will be noticeable; of course so will the much quieter traffic etc but you know all the good stuff.
Thanks for all that, yes all noted and understood. We used to live on a narrow boat so understand the ‘romanticism‘ thing.

It would be good to talk more.