Weight and Planing/Top speed

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
How much does the weight you are carrying on the boat effect your ability to plane and your top speed?
I went out with 7 adults on board and a full tank of water plus full fuel tanks, a ligtht rib on the davitts, generator and desalination unit in the lazerette. I also have a rope cutter on the props, which I am told costs me a knot or two. In the Princess 385 with 2 306hp engines I was getttinga top speed of about 22/23 knots. There was no problem in getting onto the plane at about 16 knots.

Is this OK? Normal?

Paul

G

My mates 385 is the same, older hull design than mine so 22/24 about right, enjoying are we?, not heard much from you lately have you just been lurking I wonder,

Paul js.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Enjoying every second - I have put a lot oif hours into her over the winter and now almost complete.
I take my 4 day course (DaYSkipper practical) next month.
Whilst it has cost a fortune to date, I do not regret a penny of it.

I do pop up occasionally on a thread, so not always lurking.
Kind regards
Paul

Paul

G

Try getting rid of the water, don't tell wife, you can fill up later. keep just enough for tea coffee etc. Ditch the wifes makeup bag, make sure invited guests drink the old unwanted drink that you have hoarded onboard.

I get 30knots with 0.25 water half fuel. 27knots full fuel little water six adults and gear. 21x23 props.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Sounds about right to me as well. Thinking about the water tank, lets assume your tank is 100gallons which is getting on for half a ton of surplus weight usually positioned exactly where you dont want it somewhere near the stern. If I'm going on a longish trip to another marina where I know there's water, I always make sure the water tank's less than a quarter full. No point in carrying the extra weight especially as you have a desalination plant as well
7 peeps is also a fair number to carry. On my boat its irritating when they start moving about as I keep having to adjust the trim tabs so I often throw one or two overboard if they wont sit still
Personally and I stress this is IMHO, I would ditch the rope cutters. 2-3 knots loss of speed is too high a price for reducing the very remote possibility of both props being disabled

tcm

Visit site
Re: liferaft

I seem to recall that gludy also has a monster liferaft weighing towards 100kilos - hope it's strapped securely?

Agreed that dragging around half a ton of water unnecessary waste of fuel/speed.

G

Dragging around 7 people probably unnecessary waste of fuel/speed. Suggest throw hangers-on overboard, retain attractive people/those with best booze supply

G

Not really. Just as venal and shallow as ever. Glad to be back from hibernation, though.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com

Not 100kg - just 75kg.
Seems strange how weights grow with time!

What I am really thinking about now is the rope cutters. The boat is due out the water the moment there is a space in the yard, so I have a chance to remove them. Just cannot decide.

Paul