Weekend weather

G

Had to get off the river pretty sharpish on Saturday when those pesky gale force winds started blowing across East Anglia.

Tried to go for a walk on the North Norfolk coast on Sunday (Fair Breeze now being tied very firmly up to her mooring and destined to stay there - I knew this would be the consequence of keeping her name... we had a fair breeze alright, and then some) and nearly got blown off my feet. The wind seemed even stronger. I actually saw one kite-flyer become airborne on Holkham beach for a short while, and start heading off towards Norway.

I thought 'God help the people at sea today' - but maybe they could ride it out while I was dodging cruisers and mudbanks and trying to stop my boat going sideways.

How did everyone else get on?

G

A similar experience with an awning was narrowly avoided by us...

BrianJ

Visit site
Now at the risk of getting into trouble again !!!!! From some BBers
In the World's most liveable City( Melbourne, OZ. ) Saturday wa 32*C , Sunday was 33*C and monday a cool 31*C. Great sailing
Today ( for golf ) is only 25*C

pugwash

Visit site
Dover strait

I crossed to France on a ferry at noon on Sunday in the middle of the gale and was astonished to find the sea virtually flat. How come? What does it take to pile up the seas if it isn't 24 hours of screaming wind?

jimmie

N/A
Visit site
lucky person, I was antifouling the boat looking out over the Solent and wishing I was sailing ... apart from one 5 minute spell when a most horrendous squall came through!

AndrewB

Visit site
Re: Dover strait

The wind blew up very suddenly Sunday lunchtime after a calm morning. It takes about 2 hours for the seas to build. Incidentally the channel crossing is fairly well protected from all directions except SW, W and NE, so it doesn't always get rough in a gale. Also the tide makes a huge difference: a SW gale against a spring flood and its Belgian cobblestones 20ft high.

I can't recall the windspeed being recorded at Dover on Sunday but would guess it was about 35 knots (SW7-8) at maximum. By early afternoon the western entrance was extremely rough, with waves breaking over the harbour wall. But it was a short-lived blow.

G

Re: OZ?

World's most liveable city????? Please, give me a break. I am subjected for work reasons to leave the Sunshine State and spend a week in Melbourne each month and have done so every month for 5 years. The weather is absolute rubbish. 30C one minute 15 the next. Even the locals reckon you get four seasons in one day.

Last week when I was down there you were all whingeing about about how wet it had been all summer. You'd only just stopped whingeing about how wet it had been all winter!

The only good thing about the Melbourne is the Men's Gallery which is the worlds most liveable drinking establishment. Second best thing is the Espy for music.

The amazing thing I find is the pommies you meet in Melbourne all think the weather is great. You just have NO idea whatsoever......and it certainly says something about the weather over there in GB!

ccscott49

Visit site

Heh! Bruv, if you had to live with magnetic boots on and a survival suit all month, you would think Melbourne weather great aswell! Thats at home, out here on the rig its worse!!!!

parrothead

Visit site
Sailed from Gosport to Cowes on Sat. tacked to come into Cowes and as we rolled in the genoa, the roller gear failed, unravelling the genny, had to go up on the bow and bring it down by hand still have the bruises to show for it. Still a great craic.

G

I have no doubt and I'm not jealous. I guess its a bit like hitting yourself over the head with a hammer. You must feel great when you stop!

Bookmark this URL so you can see just how horrible it is here:-

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ10090.txt

Notice all the references to 'Fine' the worst they could come up with for the next week was 'Mostly fine'.

Going for a sail tomorrow, bureau says 10-15 knts max 30C ....tough isn't it.

G

Thanks for your contribution, and that of Brianj.

But, since my boat won't go east of Yarmouth, south of Beccles or north of Hickling, I'm afraid knowing what the weather is like in Australia is damn all use to me...

;- ))