Webasto Heater not working. It is winter. [cue: Shivering liveaboard]

Surfa62

Visit site
Hi.
Anyone want to have a stab at remote Thermotop C diagnosis?

1. Was working great. Every day for 14 months. Liveaboard.
2. Shut down because of overheat four times. Once, wouldn't even start after reaching 30deg C, but only when stone cold. Now won't start at all, but goes straight into 'Cool down fan mode' then stops. Did usual hardware reset.
3. No build up of carbon. Clean inside.
4. Glow plug reads correct resistance.

My guess... The temp sensor is stuffed. The white jiggly (thermistor NTC) that sticks out on the motherboard.
Software reset?
Maybe?
Is there something I've missed?
I paid $90 for some wally to run it through the diagnostic software and tell me that they are not sure, but for the price of a nuclear submarine they can swap some things around and guess... (Didn't do software reset) Gah!

Thanks
Mark

syneraida

syneraida.com
Which heater do you have?

I had very similar problems, tried the diagnostic tool, couldn't find any errors on the controller. Tried a whole bunch of things and still no luck. eventually resorted to a rather crude drawing online that recommended shorting two contacts to reset the controller and hey presto it worked.

This drawing was for a Eberspacher heater, so probably not appropriate for you, and i'm not sure if Webasto heaters "lock out" but of they do i'd try that first. If that doesn't work you should be able to check each component with the diagnostics kit for errors and finally you could try a friend controller if you know one?

Good luck, these little devils are great when they work, but can be a nightmare to fix when they dont!!!!