Weather sources

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Where do people find the most reliable, long-term marine weather forecasts? My usual sources didn't suggest this weekend was going to be anything like as spectacular as it was!

I'm trying to plan the best departure date for a 2 week cruise and want to wait for a decent dose of stable weather........

Thanks
Rob

Mike_02

Visit site
Acurate weather forcast.....You must be joking..!!!!!!!

That's a bit like a motorboat not making wash or obeying the speed imit...not a chance...just pick a date and take a chance ..i do and have had great weather for the last 4 years

ParaHandy

Visit site
Which sources do you use?

Do you use http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/wxcharts/synoptic120.htm ? They were pretty accurate (USAF weather)...and they also agreed with MET office & MRF long range forecast which made it a done deal...!!

The long range MRF is http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/tkmrfeur.html
They have just introduced 11 to 16 day forecasts but at that distance, the forecast is not accurate but generally might be a decent indication - no more.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ParaHandy on 15/07/2002 13:48 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

www.meto.gov.uk is our own dear met. office, and they'll go as far as 5 days.
www.weather.co.uk is another place that goes further out: 10-14 days, I think.

Of course, the further out you go timewise, the less I trust it! Good luck...

ParaHandy

Visit site
I think this is the Met Office *statistical* data where they average conditions over many previous years to derive a current forecast?

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
No such thing...

Last year as we prepared for a month in the West Country the BBC poked fun at all those "poor people" off to Greece as there were flight delays and we were in for a 2 week "heat wave" in the UK.

Pah - heat wave my arse - rain, fog, cold, strong wind...the usual UK August stuff...

Even overheard a lifeboat man in Salcombe state that the only way to check today's weather was to put to sea and have a look.

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk

peterb

Visit site
Agreed thet the longer the forecast the less the trust. But the longer forecast can still be helpful.

It seems that some weather situations lend themselves to good forecasts, while others cannot be relied on at all. So 10 days before you go sailing look at the 10 day forecast, 9 days before look at the 9 day forecast, and so on. If the forecast keeps varying then don't rely on it. If it stabilises, though, and keeps predicting the same weather, then it's a fair bet that it will be right.

G

Try www.ecmwf.com
It is the European Centre for Mediumrange Weather Forecasts and contains loads of fascinating stuff. Don't worry if you are a Eurosceptic! It's nothing to do with Brussels. Good luck - and Bill Gyles said this morning on the To-day programme that this is set fair with a few minor interruptions for some time now - so that's put the hat on it!

AnneW

Visit site
A brilliant source at Wetterzentrale but any help appreciated on what each map shoes such as "% Wolken" and "Nierdershclag in mm".