Weather Forecats

colvic

Visit site
Being in the UK for the first time for quite some time, I am finding the general weather forcasting on TV somewhat over the top, with severe weather warnings issued while the TV presenter "on location" has a 30ft. fishing boat going out to sea in the background shot. Is this a hangover from Mr. Fiah and there is no hurricane?

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Weather for cats, eh? Good job it's not raining cats and dogs.

Apropos severe weather warnings, lately these have not been so much adressed to the nauticats amongst as to common or garden cats that are more concerned with being flooded, or snowed in.

Seems that any above average weather event generates a SWW. Possibly a hangover from Monsieur Fishes failure to foretell out one real hurricane back in nineteensomethingorother.

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
Better to look at the synoptic charts the Forecasters present and make your own mind up. I often find that the Solent Coastguard weather from Southampton is markedly different to the Shipping Forecast and often more accurate. The Jersey weather forecasts, for the channel islands area seem to be less reliable than they were a few years ago, but the French forecasts are usually pretty good. I use a dual channel Navtex most of the time to make sure I do not miss any warnings

Chris Stannard

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
FISH, CATS not a good mix was bound to end in tears.
The British are renown for being obsessed with the weather, we use it as a form of greeting. When Its blowing a force 8 as it did yesterday we say "Hello its a bit windy today" or in the summer if we have not had rain for a week "Hello garden could do with some rain".
Yes we are obsessive, do weather men really travel round the country for the back drop or is it superimposed as anthing is possible. Even Purr fect weather.
See Ya, or have a nice day! weather permitting.
Trevor

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Trevor_swfyc on Wed Feb 27 12:00:55 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

chrisc

Visit site
Re: FISH, CATS not a good mix was bound to end in tear

It seems to me that the weather reports in the news in Uk
are more geared to attempting to make news (even if there is
none) on the slightest of pretexts .Although this is also true of
90 % of the rest of the news.
Maybe there is a little too much american influence ?

ccscott49

Visit site
I use the general weather charts on wetterzentrale.de top kaarten, then kiene frames then ukmo this shows you charts from USAF Sembach, they are very good, the inshore forecst I find on this site is also very good. There are lots of places to find good weather forecasts without looking at the TV, which is not for us anyway!

johndf

Visit site
Re: FISH, CATS not a good mix was bound to end in tear

Depends on what type of fish - if the ship's cat happens to go overboard near a great white shark, then the cat will be shedding the tears, or the skipper!