We Are 'Sailing' Cones

M

marilynch

We Are \'Sailing\' Cones

I took my yacht out for the first time this week end! Yipee!

I had a problem with the headsail which could not be fixed at sea and instead of sticking the engine on decided to sail using the main.

It was a good experience. I learnt how my little yacht handled sailing this way but, I also noticed that a few vessels, (even though we are not the quickest yacht!) assumed as I only had the main up that I was motor sailing, that is, until it was too late, by which time (wanting to avoid a collision) I was forced off my point of sail therefore 'most' of the time the engine remained on but in neutral.

Perhaps (because so many motor sail without using a motoring cone) we should now use a 'Sailing Cone' and maybe make it the 'neon flashing type' for those who need a little more help.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

duncan

Visit site
Re: We Are \'Sailing\' Cones

just be easier if everyone flew the right thing at the right time instead of leaving everyone guessing!

here's one from Saturday - obviously not you on at least 2 counts.......... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

motorsailor.jpg

Poignard

Visit site

Maybe "the powers that be" should take a look at this motor-sailing rule, find out why it is so largely ignored and perhaps come up with something that people are willing to follow. Most sailors are sensible people and generally stick to the Colregs but seem reluctant to comply with this one.

I'm as guilty as anyone and I suppose the reason I don't often use a cone is because I'm usually shorthanded and don't have anyone to send forward when approaching a busy harbour to rig the cone. Portsmouth Harbour is a good example, you only need to be under power for a short time when passing through the small-boat channel, after that you resume sailing again. What's needed is a remotely operated cone!

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk

I agree; the cone is often not deployed because on a small boat it's a PITA to do so. I'm surprised it hasn't been superceded by a flag.

RufusM

Visit site

Smashing example of sail trim - wonder if he can make it sail backwards too....

Good to see the radar reflector nice and high /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

capnsensible

Visit site

I think a better definition, not motor sailing cone, but 'RYA Burgee'. Actually means 'Examiner Onboard'.

ShipsWoofy

Visit site

Do you deploy an anchor ball 100% of the time it is required? I find this just as annoying.

I have never seen a mobo or a modern saily thing showing an anchor ball, strangely MAB seem to follow the rule most often.

sailorman

Visit site

people who own MABs generally have owned boats before. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
the AWBs have 40 ft + as a starter boat /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

duncan

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Do you deploy an anchor ball 100% of the time it is required? I find this just as annoying.

I have never seen a mobo or a modern saily thing showing an anchor ball, strangely MAB seem to follow the rule most often.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I also have the engine off, am stationary relative to the ground and have a rope hanging off the bow. finally if I am drfit fishing with the engine off do you want me to fly 'not under command' or nothing?

it's about even moneybetween power and sail over the raising of an anchor ball in places like Studland - if you discount craft under about 7m most of whom don't have anything to raise such from let alone a bow roller!

M

marilynch

Question.....On approach to a Harbour such as Portsmouth where it is 'mandatory to motor (between no 4 and Ballast Bcn) 'technically' are cones therefore mandatory as well or simply not required for this duration because of the forementioned?

Besides all that....As mine is a little yacht there will be plenty of times when I shall need a little engine help, (unless I want to sail backwards for Christmas! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I will display a motoring cone (In the right place ) ...as long as it is safe for me to to do so! and continue to expect the unexpected, after all,
'There is nowt so queer as folk!' nor beginners' like me'.... speaking of which, should all new learner boat owners display 'L' cones until they have clocked up say 100 nm and then a 'P' cone up to 200 nm ? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

duncan

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Question.....On approach to a Harbour such as Portsmouth where it is 'mandatory to motor (between no 4 and Ballast Bcn) 'technically' are cones therefore mandatory as well or simply not required for this duration because of the forementioned?

[/ QUOTE ]

if only it was that easy! Some craft just don't have engines so, for example, Poole Harbour entrance will have craft sailing as well as motor sailing.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
therefore 'most' of the time the engine remained on but in neutral.

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that if the motor is on, you're motorsailing, whether it's in gear or not.

[/ QUOTE ]Not true.

Just because your engine is on doesn't make you a power driven vessel.

You'll get some odd looks and occasional abuse though from people who see your exhaust and who think that you have engaged your propulsion.

duncan

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that if the motor is on, you're motorsailing, whether it's in gear or not.

[/ QUOTE ]Not true.

Just because your engine is on doesn't make you a power driven vessel.

You'll get some odd looks and occasional abuse though from people who see your exhaust and who think that you have engaged your propulsion.

[/ QUOTE ]

on that basis engine into neutral and sheeting in my ensign ............should get a lot of interesting responses too!

fflakey

Visit site

I thought having a motoring cone up also meant 'RYA Examiner on board'. It certainly did on Saturday when I put one up for the first time since my DS course. I almost flew the damn thing upside down!

Sunday was a less stressed matter however as I was deemed competent enough to accompany Ultramarini on her monosail cruise. Many thanks again for taking me and the new SWMBO sailing and sorry again for bleeding on your foredeck :-S

It was SWMBOS first taste of sailing and despite the tippy nature of a Snapdragon 25 is happy to go again, I think we have a new convert out on the water! (As well as 2 new YM's on Sat).

M

marilynch

Oi! ... I s'pose you think your /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ......Consider Your card marked! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

l'escargot

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Rule 3 gives definitions

(b)The term "power-driven vessel" means any vessel propelled by machinery.

(c) The term "sailing vessel" means any vessel under sail provided that propelling machinery if fitted, is not being used.

"propelled" would be the operative word.