Waterproofing sailing jacket.

basic

Visit site
I have two good sailing jackets which have been gently washed a couple of times and are no longer as waterproof as they should be. Not being a member of the throw away society I wonder could anyone recommend a product to re-waterproof. Thanks.

jac

Visit site
Grangers XT proofer was recommended by Musto - I have used on my Musto HPX and seems ok.

key think is to not use aggressive bio powders when washing or fabric conditioner - cool wash- something like grangers wash ( can't remember it's proper name) - hang out to dry and then re proof

Morven

Visit site
Try some of the Nikwax products, Teckwash and the reproofer but if it is a conventional membrane that has started to fail then there is little that can be done.

Jamesuk

Visit site
this 10 month old Helly Hansen Offshore Jacket needed some DWR TLC.
http://youtu.be/t-ENixIgcfI
1. Chuck it in the dryer after a Grangers 2in1 wash
2. Hang up until damp (not dripping)
3. Come home from work its damp chuck it in dryer for =<40mins on warm/hot depending on your dryer.
4. The DWR and breathability will be restored on nearly new jackets.

Try it on an old jacket: i have my musto MPX jacket on the Isle of Wight i need to test. As it had the DWR TREATMENT RECENTLY

As the above post mentions XT proofer can be used but without heat you may as well spray wax on it.

BREAK

try silicone spray such as Fabsil or Gill Silicone spray after washing. Gill have been using it for years

Last edited:

Sailingsaves

Visit site
I have two good sailing jackets which have been gently washed a couple of times and are no longer as waterproof as they should be. Not being a member of the throw away society I wonder could anyone recommend a product to re-waterproof. Thanks.

A lady (pretty high up - we were talking about licensing Goretex for use in my own designs at one point) from Goretex sent me some Grangers products. They work better then any other similar stuff I have used (not including spray on Silicone etc)

The jacket was simply very well worn. Upon asking about the 'lifetime guarantee' she said they would take the jacket, test it, but if it was leaking owing to wear and tear, they would NOT return it but destroy it !? I don't know how they can legally do that, but I wasn't going to risk it so took 3 of her free bottles - 3 silver bottles of spray on stuff to go along with my Grangers wash and Grangers protect. Was better than throwing away a handmade £400 plus (when new) mountain jacket.

I think commercial Gore-tex is rubbish - either too thin or the membrane is not protected enough by inner and outer materials. MOD gore-tex gear has lasted me many years of hard use without leaking.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
I swear by Nikwax for all the farming waterpoofs.

They have a detergent which cleans the fabtic and prepares the interleaving layers, for stage two, the waterproofing liquid. Takes a while to dry properly but it really does rejuvenate them.

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/index.php

+1, use it on all our outdoor kit, the Techwash extends the ops life of the proofer-must admit, we just use soft shell( or whatever our local outdoor shops have on offer) Nikwax on everything, including canvas smocks, foulies, Trax, guernseys, the water seems to bead off just the same whichever type of Nikwax we use.

Sailfree

Visit site
Took a motorcycle suit back as it leaked.

I was asked had I washed it? No I replied

Go away and wash it with tech wash and nikwax it and bring it back if it still leaks!

Apparently gortex need a wash to rejuvenate them apparently dispatch riders wash theirs every 3 months to keep them waterproof. No bio powder though - essential

Last edited:

Neil

Visit site
but is there a difference in using a silicone based product which will cause water to bead on the surface layer, and something more fundamental in respect of the waterproof/breathable membrane underneath the surface layer. The former can only give a temporary respite, surely?

For example, a Nikwax-type product would avail me little on my water-proof/breathable chest waders which need to be completely immersed. Repairs needs must be made by applying a urethane sealant to the inside of the membrane.

Last edited:

SAMYL

Visit site
Very important to dry breathables inside out as mould forms on the inside and clogs/destroys the material.

An application of anti mould spray on the inside twice a year is highly recommended to keep it fresh.

I would also second the Gill reproofing material.

Other threads that may be of interest