Water Tanks

Greg2

Visit site
One of the water tanks (28 gallons each) on my Princess 32 has coroded through and leaks. I am looking to replace both and have been qouted £480 for the pair in stainless steel and £300 for polypropelene - both made to measure.

Is steel better or are the plastic ones perfectly adequate? Given the frequency with which my chequebook sees the light of day since buying the boat saving £180 seems like a good idea.

G

Mild steel is no good for water unless you like it orange, alloy ok and stainless, grp ok as well, try vetus for tanks or local engineering firm/ fabricator.
paul js

jollyjacktar

Visit site
A cheaper source

I have used caravan black plastic poly...something tanks, available from a caravan parts/manufacture supplier. Much cheaper than marine, designed to fit under the floor of a caravan and can be easily adapted to use on a boat. Several would do the job and can be isolated and refilled individually etc so as to prevent contamination of the whole supply and replenishment of all your water. Individual tanks can then be dedicated to specific uses depending on the quality of the water contained therein i.e your best water for drinking, and so on. I have had good water successfully stored for over a year this way.

dickh

Visit site
Vetus do a range of plastic tanks as do Tektanks - look on their website www.tektanks.co.uk or is it .com? They seem quite reasonable - investigated them last year but in the end found my tank did'nt leak after all...