Water pump service repair

ashanta

Visit site
Planning to replace the seals and 'O' ring on my water pump this weekend (Volvo 2002) having obtained the parts. I have now been advised by an engineer friend that it would be good engineering practice to change the 2 bearings. Is this corrrect or can I assume the bearings will be OK and that I just change the seals and 'O' ring as planned. I cannot get the bearings quickly as the dealers I have contacted do not have them in stock. They can get them from Volvo but I would not get them by Friday in time for my planned work. Question is should I postpone the repair to allow time to get the bearings or continue as originally planned without them?
Thanks

PaulJS

Visit site
Your friend is giving you good advice, much easier to do the job now than waiting for the bearings to fail!
Suggest trying local bearing suppliers or ebay as they will probably be much less expensive for identical or superior quality.
Enjoy yourself /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

ashanta

Visit site
I can understand the logic of the advice I have been given but is there any experience of these bearing actually needing to be replaced. Do PBO forumites who have done this repair just change the seals and 'O' ring and leave the original bearings in place or do they change them as well?

jerryat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can understand the logic of the advice I have been given but is there any experience of these bearing actually needing to be replaced. Do PBO forumites who have done this repair just change the seals and 'O' ring and leave the original bearings in place or do they change them as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I agree it's good engineering practise, but I've never had to change the water pump bearings in any boat of mine - yet! Unless there is identifiable wear, I would just change the seals. Removing the pump and doing the bearings at some later date may be needed, but it's not exactly hard to do is it?!!

vivace

Visit site
Based on (admittedly very ancient) motor trade experience, its very unusual to change water pump bearings if they are okay. Check them for play and any visible damage. If all looks and sounds okay, then don't worry.