Water&Holding Tank Flush Through/ Cleaning.

jandnrowe

Visit site
Hi all, welcome to the new season - or whenever you start.
The boats been sealed up over winter and as I'm new to WC Holding Tanks - is there anything I need to do cleaner wise before 1st use. It's never been used as far as I'm aware.
Similarly the empty water tank?

Momac

Visit site
Since you say the holding tank has never been used and assuming its not a new boat I would say check any diverter valves and sea cocks are working .
I use a dose of Odourlos added via the toilet after each holding tank pump out but the choice of toilet holding tank chemical or none at all is up to you.

For the fresh water tank I fill the tank and open the taps /shower to give the pipes a good flush through.
This also helps flush out air from the pipework.
Some folks like to add sterilising chemical eg Milton to the water . I did do this when the boat was new to me as it had stood unused a long while . But ordinarily I just add water an flush at the start of the season.
However I do avoid drinking tank water .

jandnrowe

Visit site
Cheers for the quick response. I'll check the sea cocks and diverter are still good when I return to the boat. How much Milton do you add? Do I need an costco sized order?😀

oldgit

Visit site
My boat has a seperate pump to directly empty black water tank tank into the sea ( a suitable distance off shore of course) .
Pump decided to quit when tank poo was of course full.
After first checking power connections and diverter valve was operating correctly, searched for price of new pump.........Ouch. £450.00
Nothing for it, put peg on nose, remove pump,and dismantle.

The pump chamber was jammed solid with pieces of what could be called politely "limescale" which was preventing the bellows from moving in any direction at all, a good clean and soon all working again, also cleaned the joker valves which were also clogged solid.

Still alive after drinking water directly from all sorts of water tanks and containers for 70 odd years
.........its the alcohol in water thats slowly killing me.

Last edited:

Montemar

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk
"Still alive after drinking water directly from all sorts of water tanks and containers for 70 odd years
.........its the alcohol in water thats slowly killing me."

Au contraire..it's probably what kept you alive :)

jbweston

Visit site
I've always drunk the water from boat freshwater tanks over the last 20 years (and for 10 years as child a long time ago), assuming I know the 'provenance' of the water to be good and the tank to be in regular use.

On a new-to-me tank I flush it through several times and use some sterilisng powder just to make sure it isn't harbouring bugs.

I'm not saying this is somehow the right way to deal with a freshwater tank but, if you're reading this, I was still alive when I pressed Post reply.

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site
Freshwater tank is simple. All you need to be aware of is there will be an anaerobic and settlement zone at the bottom of the tank if left still for a long period of time that can be harmful. So at the beginning of the season sterilize with Milton or liquid thin bleach for 24 hours and ensure you have run this water to the tap. Flush, refill, flush until taste normal. Then if your water source is drinkable and chlorinated you will be fine so long as you flush out the tanks regularly. Never top up but drain and refill and so long as you are doing this in regular intervals your water should be good for 2 weeks or more (although the chlorination will gas off quite quickly). Standing tanks are the problem. So if you dont use your boat a lot then leave the tanks empty and use fresh chlorinated tap water and a block of Miltons on each refill.