water filter/pump

Maurice55

Visit site
Hello everybody,
I have tried this one in the pbo forum and didn't get quite what I want, so I hope that some of you might have the answer.
As we will be living aboard from this summer, I wanted to install a good water filter in our system and I bought a "Nature pure" one byGeneral Ecology as the salesman at the boat show assured me it would be allright with a foot pump.
You see I don't want to go electric for water as long as I've got a foot that can press a pedal.
The problem is that I haven't found a pump that can push water though this damn filter in a satisfactory manner, and this is with a brand new filter which means that with time it's only going to get worse.
So my question is double.
Is there a pump somewhere(I've tried all the "Whales") which could give a better out put pressure than say a "Gusher Galley" or a "Tip Toe" ?
Or is there a decent filter that does not restrict the water flow so much.
Tahking you very much for your time..

Maurice

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
the jabsco aquafilter does not seem to restrict the waterflow. I have used one for the last 8 years - converts the water from the tank into water that I can drink with scotland's finest.

<hr width=100% size=1>

JerryHawkins

Visit site
AFAIK the Aquafilter (we have one too) is only a filter and taste enhancer, it doesn't purify - you still need to add tablets or similar to the tank. The Natuerpure does both in one unit. Maybe worth contacting the manufacturers to see if (a) there is a fault with this particular unit, (b) they can suggest a suitable pump to use with it.

Cheers,

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

BigART

Visit site
I would be interested to know how you get on as I am considering fitting one as well.

Regards

Angus

<hr width=100% size=1>I could well be wrong, if so I apologise - please correct me.

Maurice55

Visit site
Hello Angus,
At the moment, I'm back to square 1.
All the professionnals seem to agree that the galley gusher is the best pump on the market so I'm going to stick to that unless I can find another one that would give a better positive pressure. the second solution is to get a different filter (I have ordered a copy of the PBO article to see my options with that ) the third solution would be to get a small electric pump and use it only for drinking water so as to lower electricity use and increase pump life (once we live aboard -from this summer-the pennies will be scarce !!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

robind

Visit site
May be a cheeky reply, and no offence intended! but here goes,
Is the filter in the unit correctly, ie the right way round for the flow?
Are all necessary protective caps removed from the filter etc.
Regards
Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

BigART

Visit site
I had read somewhere that hand pumps were not an option because of the pressures required. Sounds like it needs some sort of low volume, high pressure footpump (I don't trust electric ones not to empty my water supply and flatten the battery in mid-ocean). I shall loo around.

Angus

<hr width=100% size=1>I could well be wrong, if so I apologise - please correct me.

BigART

Visit site
I had read somewhere that hand pumps were not an option because of the pressures required. Sounds like it needs some sort of low volume, high pressure footpump for the drinkg water (I don't trust electric ones not to empty my water supply and flatten the battery in mid-ocean). I shall look around.

Angus

Maurice55

Visit site
Hello,
I'm digging this one out again first to thank the contributers so far and again to ask for a little help.
I have spoken to the filter manufacturer (or rather their UK main dealer) and didn't get much help.
The point is that the filter needs a maximum of 100 psi to work (mini 25 psi) which must be possible with a piston pump.
The only problem is that so far I can't find one. Or rarther I can't find one small enough and I'm even considering making one !!
So, please, can any body point me in the right direction for small hand or foot water pump or plans/kits/components to make one??
Thanks in advance.
M.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Maurice55

Visit site
Just a little up to date on this one .
I have fitted a "Handy boy" from Jabsco, as it is the only simple cylinder pump I could find (it's the type of pump mostly used to suck up used engin oil, in case some of you wouldn't know) it's also the only one I could fit in my galley and i have fitted it so as the handle comes out of the facia just next to the sink and coming out at an angle to make it easier to pull. It's reasonably easy to use but I had to put jubilee clips around the rubber ends as the pressure is a bit much for them. The same pump all in brass would probably be very good so if you know where to source one, let me know.

<hr width=100% size=1>