Water Filler Hose - 50mm on 48mm fitting?

rajjes

Visit site
Hi,

I have discovered a slight leak where the deck filler hose joins the water tank filler. After attempting some bodges I decided to renew the hose as it has completely hardened with absolutely no flexibility. This is the original hose on a 1980's moody so overdue for renewal in any case.

My problem is that the tank nozzle is 48mm as measured with a caliper but I can only seem to find 50mm hoses locally in Malta. The supplier assures me that it should tighten sufficiently using 2 clips however I'm not convinced. I really need a tight seal since the nozzle is on the side of the tank so would be below water with a full tank.

Am I right to be concerned? Any suggestions appreciated!

Regards,

Duncan

Grumpybear

Visit site
Hi,

I have discovered a slight leak where the deck filler hose joins the water tank filler. After attempting some bodges I decided to renew the hose as it has completely hardened with absolutely no flexibility. This is the original hose on a 1980's moody so overdue for renewal in any case.

My problem is that the tank nozzle is 48mm as measured with a caliper but I can only seem to find 50mm hoses locally in Malta. The supplier assures me that it should tighten sufficiently using 2 clips however I'm not convinced. I really need a tight seal since the nozzle is on the side of the tank so would be below water with a full tank.

Am I right to be concerned? Any suggestions appreciated!

Regards,

Duncan

Had exactly the same problem with my 1999 Jeanneau. It had been bodged up with lots of sealant and over tightened clips crushing the hose which eventually split and leaked. I ended up sourcing a plastic taper from a plumber's merchant which I glued to the spigot on the tank and which fitted well into the trimmed off hose.

rajjes

Visit site
Thanks both. Yes, all the suppliers contacted so far have confirmed that 48mm is not a standard size.

Failing finding a plastic taper, would I be better off using self amalgamating tape around nozzle or applying a thick mix of epoxy with fibers or perhaps silicone / sikaflex on nozzle, allow to fully dry before tightening clips.?

NormanS

Visit site
Heat the hose with a hair drier, or similar, before and when tightening the clips. No harm in doing some building up with tape.