Water based epoxy treatment for wood. Comments?

stuhaynes

www.best-camping-stoves.com
Has anyone got first hand experience of using water based epoxy for surface treatment of their own hull?

A friend of mine is using it on his larch planked clinker built (1963) boat hoping to stabilize the wood and avoid blisters to his new paintwork.

My own boat (1951) is mahogany carver construction and I'm considering the same treatment. What do you all think?

Thanks as always, Stu

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Applying epoxy to the external of a wooden hull may well improve it's ability to resit moisture. However it will also prevent water drying out when on the hard and cause other problems.

I use water based epoxy over fibreglass with poly resins to act as chemical barrier, this in the application of waterproofing showers in homes.

The problem here is that water based epoxy must be applied very thinly because it tends to crack at the first sign of any movement. This may also be a problem over a timber hull.

Good luck:)

Simes

Visit site
Whilst I hear what Oldsaltz is saying about the Water-based Epoxy cracking, this is not what I have found.
I used the stuff supplied by Trad' Boat to penetrate the softwood of a couple of deck beams and also to pre-treat some marine ply to rework the deck with.

I followed the instruction given by John at Trad' Boat and have had total success over three years now. The water-based epoxy seems deeply into the wood giving a good hard water proof finish.

I would suggest that you talk to John at Trad' Boat and ask his advise. The water-based epoxy is French and not too expensive. I would not be with out it these days.

Simes

DownWest

Visit site
I used it to coat my entire boat, but it is epoxy ply clinker, not trad planks in real wood. After three coats, easily applied, it looked like varnish. As it is stored under cover, I haven't got round to finishing coats in paint/varnish yet. After 4yrs, it needs a sand and recoat and those elusive top coats. Starting next month. Like Simes, I use a French product Resoltech Re1010. New boat is getting the same treatment.
A

stuhaynes

www.best-camping-stoves.com
I used it to coat my entire boat, but it is epoxy ply clinker, not trad planks in real wood. After three coats, easily applied, it looked like varnish. As it is stored under cover, I haven't got round to finishing coats in paint/varnish yet. After 4yrs, it needs a sand and recoat and those elusive top coats. Starting next month. Like Simes, I use a French product Resoltech Re1010. New boat is getting the same treatment.
A

Thanks everyone so far

My mate Martin has already bought the material from John at Trad Boats and we start applying it tomorrow. We're also using the chlorinated rubber primer (also from John) that I used, with excellent results, in 2007 and 2010. I used this as an underwater primer and barrier coat. Last year I used the C.R. in an 8 inch band above and below the waterline. It appears to have survived being locked in ice for a month where the paint finish hasn't. We live aboard all year so we are on and off the boat all the time, and obviously, in ice, abrasion is the main problem.

Last year we relaunched in August, so after only 7 months (after a LOT of work) we are again seeing the beginning of blistering of the paintwork. This is why I got quite excited when I spotted this Epoxy on John's site and asked the question. I know it's going to be a compromise, but short of taking the boat out of the water every year I'm a bit stumped.

We're not due out of the water until next spring, so I'm going to monitor Martins boat over the next year and will post my findings on the forum. Any other views anyone?

Thanks again, Stu

DownWest

Visit site
Apart from Trad Boats, you could e-mail Pierre Calmon at Resoltech. He is their export manager and very helpfull. Speaks good English. p.calmon(at)resoltech.com
Andrew

ccscott49

Visit site
Apart from Trad Boats, you could e-mail Pierre Calmon at Resoltech. He is their export manager and very helpfull. Speaks good English. p.calmon(at)resoltech.com
Andrew

It's exellent stuff, used it on two boats down here in Corfu and using on m y own boat, before coppercoat, over cascover. John has the stuff, but its much cheaper from Resolcoat them selves. Especially if you want a big tin.