Was this wise?

ponapay

Visit site
For a nice delivery cruise I called for volunteers from my various sailing friends. Many came forth and a selection had to be made, particularly in mind of compatibility.

I chose one boat owner (ex MN 1st mate), one brother (ex boat owner and we often sailed together) and one lesser known good friend with excellent sailing record.

The voyage was a 700 mile Baltic delivery in my own boat in the spring.

On asking the crew to state their medical health and any restrictions the following were elicited:

Skipper - arthritic, asthmatic and minor heart defect
1st mate - has emphysema
2nd mate - pacemaker fitted
3rd mate - only one hand

Apart from one diversion and return to harbour for a, short lived luckily, force 10 storm, all went well.

We blew out our elderly mizzen (it needed to be replaced anyway) and the retrun to harbour was only deemed necessary when the 2nd mate's pacemaker started to get hot!

A very enjoyable time was had by all, we eat well, drank sensibly (most of the time), saw lots of Sweden, visited many quiet and cheap harbours and met lots of nice fellow sailors.

Any comments?

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: The doom mongers

could point out all manner of variations of potential disaster.
but if you listened to them you would never get out of bed
well done
altho i bet the 3rd mate got fed up of hand jokes after 700 miles.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

ponapay

Visit site
Certainly not

one and hopefully not the other!

Despite being short handed we all pulled well together and there were many inadvertant offers of the 'do you need a hand' type.

I can thoroughly reccommend not being restricted by overcaution and being aware of the dangers and problems that could arise - and luckily did not.

<hr width=100% size=1>