Was in the pub last night...

Stingo

Visit site
...with a few mates and all of them are on the reserve list and expecting an invitation to head for warmer weather.

How many of you on this forum are also expecting a holiday on President Blair's insistance?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> - now showing at a computer near you

aod

Visit site
Stingo you haven't got any mates.

And we all know that you hide by the garage corner with a pair of bins looking through the windows waiting for someone who you faintly know goes up to the bar to buy a drink before you enter the pub and slap them on the back saying "Hello Mate" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

jimi

Visit site
Interesting question .. if you were a member of the services would you fight in this war to be? Personally if I were a serviceman, I'd find it hard to reconcile with my conscience, which then raises all sorts of legal and etical questions and dilemnas ..

claymore

Visit site
I am a reserve spring bulb dibber operator in the Queens Own Herbacious Borderers - expecting the papers any day now

regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

summerwind

Visit site
Jimi

It is fairly obvious that you have never been in the armed services. If you had, you wouldn't make such a comment.

No matter what your conscience might tell you, if you're a services person, you do what you are told to the best of your ability, especially if your mates' lives may be depending on it! Loyalty to the queen is fine, but loyalty to your mates is absolute.

"Ours is not to reason why - ours is but to do and die", but not if you can kill the other bugger first!

tcm

Visit site
what sort of dilemmas? As a stinkie, i would be doing some nice powerboating driving supplies ashore. Whereas you and clasie wil be involved in other service activities: please note that I do not need extra salt on the potatoes, and the coffee can wait until after the cheese course. Thanks.

Miker

Visit site
All you youngsters. Takes me back to Suez and National Service. Who was it who said something like "The first casualty of war is truth"?

jimi

Visit site
Re: Blimey - a conchy!

Depends why you're a conchie, most of them objected to violence for any reason on ethical grounds, a bit like being a veggie. However my stance is that I think that this forthcoming war is criminal under international law and unsupported by the democratic process. IE there has been no vote in the Commons to declare war on Iraq and commit our troops to that. Hence in my view Bush & Blair would be war criminals if this joint adventure went ahead. Did'nt Hitler invade the Rhineland to secure resources?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: Blimey - a conchy!

Jimi - I'm normally a bit of a war monger, but this time I genuinely feel that this is unnecessary, especially with all the inocents being hurt.

Much better to sort out the Palestinian situation - and call the Isrealies Terrorists and not the Palestinians - who are freedom fighters.

Sadam is accused of supporting Hamas - who are terrorists - Oh no they are not - they are Freedom fighters!

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Forget the middle east

Let's sort out our own back yard and get a workable peace in Northern Ireland

I am amazed other countries even tolerate us lecturing them on how they should resolve their issues when we cannot get our own house in order.

Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

ghostwriter

Visit site
history

the lebensraum bit had nothing to do with the Rhineland , lebensraum came in as an excuse for Czechoslovakia , Poland , Russia etc... Rhineland was taken from them (at least , the proceeds of it) by the 14/18 coalition (UK,France, US and others) as a pay-back and a buffer.
Hitler needed it back as it was -and still is- the industrial backbone of Germany , and of course also to undo what he felt as an injustice.

history can teach us a lot , at least when we don't juggle around with facts.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Close(ish) shave

I was very relieved to receive my release papers from the long term reserve last year, so, unless they decide to dig really deep ,hopefully I won't be needed!