Warming-up (again!)

Stingray

Visit site
I read with interest all the previous posts about the advisablility or not of running engines at idle to warm them up. I have kept my boat in the water this winter hoping for some fishing if the weather allows but my berth dries out for much of the tide, so what with shortened daylight hours and small tides opportunities to give the boat a run up river are limited. This weekend I went down with the intention of a short run over the top of the tide only to have smoke pour out of one of the engine boxes with a strong rubbery smell, I suspect a water pump has seized.

So my question is how often should engines be run, whilst not under load, during the winter to keep everything free and lubricated without the problem of the bores becoming glazed?

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Every couple of weeks to circulate the oil otherwise it detiriarates (spelling block sorry)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Well. There are loads of schools of thought. But they should be winterised. Then not run, untill they are run, and then under load. Course we all break the rules, when need to charge batteries or run heating. But better not to.

<font color=blue> Haydn

Stingray

Visit site
Obviously I would prefer to run them under load but it is not always possible and seeing as something has already gone wrong I would like to keep everything moving, if you understand, so that maybe if the sun shines I will be able to take advantage.

You would not believe the state of this boat when we first looked at it. It had sat in a marina for at least four years with a ripped canopy and gallons of water inside. Only an occasional visit by the broker, yet with minimal work we motored acroos the Thames without any problems. Now when we are attempting to be caring owners it throws a wobbler!

Blue_Blazes

Visit site
Diesels don't like to idle for long periods. If your mooring circumstances permit, it's a good idea to knock her into gear (ahead or astern will do) at low revs and allow her to pull against the mooring slightly so the engine is doing some work while you warm it through/charge the batteries. Not a good idea on a drying berth with limited depth though as you are likely to scour the bottom out with prop wash.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Yep. I'm not surprised. You will go through loads of trouble. I'm afraid, till get everything ironed out. Boats are much better used all the time. They wear out three times faster stood still.

<font color=blue> Haydn

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Glazing only occurs if you run for hours upon hours without a load. Running the odd hour or two has no effect at all besides which one good run out with the engines under strain will clear any build up.
I run up my engines about once a month for 30 minutes or so just to ensure there's oil circulated everywhere.

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

Stingray

Visit site
Thanks Byron, that's exactly the sort of comment I was looking for.

Sometimes I think we are all mad with the amount of money we spend on our boats but when out on an open sea away from crowded roads it makes it all worthwhile!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Ah. But it's not just about the oil or glassing. The idea is to get the engines up to working temperature as soon as possible. Thats when all the parts fit together best. Run cold and it's trying to seeze?? itself. So Tie it up and run in gear. It's the only way to get it warm.

<font color=blue> Haydn

Stingray

Visit site
Thanks to all who replied, sorry to dredge up a subject that has already been discussed but I needed to get it clear in my mind. Off for a beer or three now to see if I still understand it in the morning.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Once upon a time. I was a Potato merchant. The trucks all set off around the town. 100yrds stop at shop. 50 yrds stop again, and so on. 10,000 miles, they were nackered. In another life I had a truck that went to Saudi Arabia, some times Kuwait or Irac. "5 times. Besides running up and down 1200 mile long deserts with 130 tons on it's back. (It was built for 56 tons.) I sold it with 250,000 on the clock.It never had a spare part. Finished up in Ireland and the chap rang me to coment on how good a condition it was in. Here endeth the leason......../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue> Haydn

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>OK Haydn, we got the message. What ever we do we mustn't carry potatoes on our boats.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

martynwhiteley

Visit site
Due to spend Easter in Barcelona, anybody who has a cruiser moored locally and needs it warming-up pre-season, I'd be glad to oblige.

You could even use mine when I'm away, I'm sure the Trent/Humber in April would be a nice change from the Costa Dorada!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Quick, grab the boat hook.....