Wangeroog and Langeoog

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
We should be going again to the baltic next year and I would like to know more about the marinas/harbours at langeoog and Wangeroog. They could make useful stopping places between say Nordeney and Cuxhaven.
The CA guide from 1996 is fairly gloomy indicating LWS depths of zero. Is this still correct? Can one lean up against a quay?
Given fair winds and a reasonable crew I may not need to use them but a bolthole in time of trouble could be handy.
The Macmillan Almanac just notes in a chartlet that Wngeroog exixts but gives no details. Many thanks for any info.

cgull

Visit site
I met Anne Hammick earlier this year, she writes for the Imray LaurieNorie Wilson Pilotage books, and I beleive is currently updating her Baltic guide, therefore may know the answer. She was in Falmouth ,yacht Wrestler.
Maybe she even is a scuttlebutter..

G

I (German) am visiting the east frisian islands (they are in the north sea) quite regurlarly by plane, not by boat. They are certainly worth a stop on Your voyage since they are quite nice. I do like especially Wangerooge for several reasons. The best time to go is midsummer, since the wind makes the heat feel good and the water temperature invites swimming a lot.

lammert

Visit site
I (dutch) have been to the german 'waddenislands' several times. The depth of the harbours in Langeoog en Wangeroog is no problem because the bottom is very very soft mud. However I don't advice these islands as a stopover to the river Elbe. The entrance between the Islands is very shallow and therefore allready dangerous with moderate wind. So never ever try to enter the passages between the islands with strong northerly (between west and east) winds. Better is to use Helgoland as a stopover. Helgoland is idealy situated to enter the Elbe and is about 35 miles from Norderney. An added bonus is you can get taxfree fuel and spirits etc. on Helgoland.

heerenleed

www.heerenleed.com
Re: Wangeroog and Langeoog, not an option in heavy

You don't want to use any of the Frisian Islands as a bolthole in times of trouble. All the approaches are very dangerous in heavy weather, with the possible exception of Texel and Borkum which have deep water approaches. And Helgoland, of course.

On the other hand, all the islands are worth visiting, but do so in settled or offshore weather. There are more anchorages in the German Frisian Islands than in the Dutch. The problem is that especially the Dutch islands get overcrowded in summer and you may find the marinas full, in which case you are not allowed in.
In that case a good anchorage is called for, as leaving at night is not always easy without local knowledge.

Happy sailing

Peter a/b SV Heerenleed, Steenbergen, Netherlands

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
Many thanks for the replies. I should say that I'm aware of the dangers of this stretch of coast - in fact pretty terrified of them and aware of the dangers of approaching the coast in rough weather. I had in mind troubles of mechanical nature, crew illness and the like.
I'm not sure about using Helgoland as a bolthole. Assuming I'm creeping along the coast, then getting to Helgoland involves a long detour round the ends of the separation zones - unless the German Coast Authorities have relented on their wel known tendency to fine anyone getting close to the said zones. Have they really relented yet? The 2001 Almanac recommended keeping a very careful log to back up ones position in case of legal action on the German Authorities part. This indicates that the stories of harsh penalties for infractions were well based up till that time.
The news that we could under reasonable conditions get into Wangeroog with the tide and have a rest is welcome and gives us another option to make our cruising, even on this coast less stressful. Thanks again.

yachtcharisma

Visit site
And you will, of course, be reading Riddle of the Sands? Just thought it worth mentioning in case you hadn't come across it, but I imagine you have...

Cheers
Patrick

==================
Sailing a Corribee
vzone.virgin.net/patrick.fox
==================

G

Hi,

You don't tell us what Badger draws. I sailed from the Elbe to the UK last year and never went outside of the Fresian Islands unless I couldn't avoid it. I had a super time and took the trip much more slowly than I should have done.

The Islands are a delight and after the first two weeks of August are over there is plenty of room in the harbours. I had to time my passages carefully as tidal height is fairly critical and you most certainly need up to date local charts as the marks are moved every year.

My boat draws about 18 inches with the centreboards up and can dry out. We never did though we came close to involuntary overnight stops a couple of times. Be brave and take your time, the islands are worth exploring rather than passing by.

Regards

Fred

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.