Walter F Raynor designs

pij27

Visit site
am looking at getting this wooden ketch, designed by Walter F Raynor, but not sure which model it is. Its approx 32ft long, wooden hull construction. Initial google search suggests a Barbary 32, but information I have found suggests that those had a Fibre Glass construction. Any help greatly appreciated. It needs a good clean, but hull and deck are solid and all fittings seem ok. Just not had any love applied for a year or two. Anyone experience of these boats? Looks a sturdy vessel for cruising all areas in.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 32

Seajet

Visit site
I don't want to seem negative, but if you don't even know what design she is, should you be taking her on ?

Seems like a job for at least one skilled woodworker & experienced owner - and the doghouse smacks more of liveaboard than sailing in heavy weather - or maybe sailing in colder climates ?

' Seems ' solid is not enough, a really thorough survey required for a boat like this.

pij27

Visit site
I will be getting a survey of the boat if decide to purchase, mainly trying to find more out about the design/type as the owner has limited information and no real history

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
This is a Barbary Ketch, maybe the one you are looking at was an earlier version.

4397822_20130625081330860_1_XLARGE.jpg

Last edited:

chubby

www.flickr.com
I have a Barbary ketch which we have owned for 25 plus years so fulfils our need for a sturdy motorsailor, and is a Walter Rayner design, the phot looks like an early perhaps wooden version. He also designed the alantic a bigger sister.

The Barbary ketch was GRP and built between about 1970 and 1980, ours is a late one from 1979.

Frankly they don't go for very much these days and the one in the thumbnail looks in a very sorry state and really only worth taking on if a rock bottom price and the purchaser is more interested in restoration than sailing. it is not just the outward appearance which can be improved with a pressure washer but the state of all the on board systems.
This is a Barbary Ketch, maybe the one you are looking at was an earlier version.

4397822_20130625081330860_1_XLARGE.jpg

Rickj85.rj

Visit site
Hello pij27, did you manage to find out any information on Tamina? I have owned her for over a year now but cant find any history on her, I’m guessing is a one off

Stemar

Visit site
A full survey by someone who knows wooden boats is, IMO, essential for someone who's thinking of taking on an old one of unknown provenance. If you're a skilled shipwright, or even a carpenter with some experience of boats, and get it for very little, with a sound survey, you might end up with a worthwhile boat but, in the long run, it's nearly always cheaper to buy a plastic boat that works and just go sailing.

Always remember that, like the joke about dogs and cats, while plastic boats may have owners, wooden boats have staff. They need constant maintenance and upkeep. Put off an hour's job for a month, and it'll be half a day. Put it off for a year and it's now a month's work and significant expense.

It takes a particular kind of insanity to take on a classic wooden boat, but it's an insanity I can understand and appreciate. Taking on an old banger because it's cheap isn't just insane, it's a short road to heartbreak. Is that a classic worthy of a full restoration? Do you have the right kind of insanity?

Sorry to sound so negative, but I believe my comments to be accurate. If I succeed in putting you off, I've done you a favour, because you haven't got what it takes to see something like that through. If you've really got what it takes to see it through you'll listen, but not be put off, in which case the wooden boat forum here will be a valuable source of information.